Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
empresaria

What do you look for in a garden center?

empresaria
15 years ago

I am researching opening a garden center with my mother, and I am very interested in knowing what you look for in a garden center. I have shopped in garden centers and I can tell you some things I/we look for:

Courtesy

Good selection

Season-specific plants

Good-looking, healthy plants

Reasonable prices

I don't like to shop for plants/trees/shrubs at the "big box" retailers such as Home Depot, Lowe's, and Wal-Mart. (I can't tell you how many times I've seen full carts, 10-12 tiers high, of dead or dying plants.)

I like to invest in my community and support local growers. In my town, there are no nurseries. The closest one is about 15-20 miles away each direction. I believe if we could find a location near home, we could do well.

We are aiming for the "organic" side of life. I don't like to say that word because it's becoming so cliche... I just want to use fertilizers and such that aren't harmful but keep plants beautiful. Like bat poop! LOL

Okay, thanks for any input you guys can give. This is going to be a VERY long process. I am going to post this on the Carolina forum as well, so forgive me if you have to read this again...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022