Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for UK seed potato varieties

Posted by bosvenson z8 PNW (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 19:04

I am looking for seed potatoes of UK varieties, especially one named 'Epicure', that can be shipped to the U.S. I have done a fair amount of searching using Google but have not been able to find any retailers offering this variety, or even much information on any regulations that might restrict the export of plant material to the US from the UK. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for UK seed potato varieties

Check Canadian sources. It is almost impossible for anyone to import to this country from Europe (legally) because of the differing export restrictions of both UK and the EU. It is possible with an import license but the cost is prohibitive.

o

Thanks Maifleur, that's a start and it answers one of my main questions.

o

Check the Universities of Washington and Idaho sites. Both have a list you can find on the net of potatoes being grown or researched in their states. Your potato was listed on both sites, along with several others that sounded interesting. Berry potatoes anyone?

o

Thanks for the additional information. Unfortunately, even though the variety I'm looking for (and many others) are listed on the WSU and Idaho sites, but there are no vendors listed. It is easy to find *information* about "non-standard" varieties of potatoes and other food crops, but finding someone who sells them is another story altogether.

o

What information if any did the two universities give you when you called/emailed them for information?

Probably too late to plant this year but maybe next?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here