Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lonicera nitida

Posted by julieNY Long I sland,NY (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 04 at 19:12

I'm beginning to renovate an old garden in Bellport, Long Island, and I would love to get hold of a favorite shrub called lonicera nitida. Though a member of the honeysuckle family it is not a climber but an evergreen which looks very like a miniature buxus. Grows incredibly easily from cuttings, very vigorous fast grower. Can in fact grow quite large,and is ideal for topiary work. But local sources here don't seem to have heard ofit or have it listed. Help, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lonicera nitida

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 6, 04 at 0:51

A common plant out here. 10 named cultivars are listed in THE PLANT LOCATOR - WESTERN REGION (2004, S. Hill & S. Narizny). They also list these mailorder sources for the typical plant, if you can't find anyone closer:

forestfarm, Williams, Oregon
Colvos Creek nursery, Vashon, Washington
River Rock nursery, Clackamas, Oregon
Joy Creek nursery, Scappoose, Oregon
Greer Gardens, Eugene, Oregon

Depending on what your Zone is, there may be a hardiness issue that has caused it to disappear from your vicinity.

o
RE: lonicera nitida

If you are still seeking suppliersespecially nurseries here in the East, try Avant Gardens (link below).

I teach at Hofstra, and Lonicera nitida, listed as hardy to zone 6, that grows there is so stunning that I will try some in zone 5 next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avant Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here