Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

Calling anyone from Baltimore/Maryland area....

lynbornman
21 years ago

I am relatively new to Baltimore and looking for a good nursery that I can trust to take care of their plants (i.e. NOT Home Depot or Lowes). I've found a few but they just seem outrageously priced. Does anyone that lives nearby now or in the past have any suggestion for a nursery with some healthy annuals and a good selection?? Maybe I just need to get used to east coast prices (Ohio native).

Thanks for any suggestion!!

Lyn

Comments (8)

• cecilia_md7a
    21 years ago

Lyn, I, too, have found that the nurseries in our area that have the largest selections and the healthiest plants tend to be overpriced - especially when you're interested in annuals. (Sometimes I can justify paying a lot for a perennial, since it will come back every year.) I've found that I can get some cheap but healthy annuals at roadside stands when they first get their shipments in. Whereabouts in the B-more area do you live? I might know of someplace near you to try.

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I live in Baltimore city....Canton to be exact but I'm willling to travel to the burbs for a good place.

• cecilia_md7a
    21 years ago

Lyn, I live just outside the city line in Balto. County - on the SW side. There is a roadside-stand-type place a few miles from me in North Linthicum (Anne Arundel County) that sells a decent variety of annuals, but you need to get there between the end of April and Mother's Day to get the best selection. There are also a couple of cheap places on Liberty Road (NW or just W of Balto) towards Eldersburg, where I have found some good annuals in the past - but that's a little far for you. I wonder if there's anybody on the east side (Essex, Middle River, Dundalk)who knows of a source?

Also, have you tried any of the seasonal farmers markets? I'm not sure whether they have any in the city, but sometimes they're a good source.

• nickel_kg
    20 years ago

If you're up for a pilgrimage, consider Behnke's. It's a wonderful nursery located on US 1 just outside the DC Beltway (College Park area). I used to live within a few miles of it. Now I live in about 75 miles away in VA, but still make it at least once in spring and sometimes in Nov/Dec (Christmas season).

Or if you want to drive more west than south from Baltimore, look up Carroll Gardens -- lots of unusual plants.

I don't know if you have "Franks" in your area, it's a nice local type garden & craft center that actually has very nice perennials and annuals, and a pretty good selection of shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.behnkes.com/home.html

• lunadi
    20 years ago

The Bel Air Farmers market is a good place to see a lot of plants for good prices. It is in Harford County. You have to get up early though as it starts at 7 and ends by ll (I think). However, while you were out this way you could stop at Don's Flowers, a roadside stand on Bel Air Road (rt1) that has annuals and perennials for good prices. You have to use cash or check at Don's. Gene's Evergreens and Hillcrest Gardens on Rt 152 in Fallston also have a good selection of annuals.
    Diane

• imaenigma
    20 years ago

Theres Patuxant Nursery, I used them a lot when I worked in landscape design, and Homestead gardens. Both have great quality plants, Homestead is a bit pricier.

• radagast
    19 years ago

Any places in the BWI area?

Thanks!

• paste592
    19 years ago

If you're willing to drive (and even when I lived in Baltimore City I shopped there -- husband says I only wanted to move to Carroll County to be closer) there's Auchey's in Hanover, PA, just across the state line. Selection and prices really make it worth the trip. Do note that there are 2 Auchey's, owned by brothers -- you want the one on Fairview drive, not the one on the highway.

I'm lucky to have a superb mail order nursery, Carroll Gardens, right here in Westminster, where the selection is awesome, and the prices are better than Behnke's, although still pretty high. Sun Nurseries is another good one (I think it's in Woodbine) although they don't have much that's rare.

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: Carroll Gardens website