Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mentha_gw

In Search of chocolate basil

Mentha
18 years ago

Somone on the herb forum mentioned chocolate basil, and I've been searching ever since. I was refered to this forum. Does anyone know where I can find this plant. Etera sold it, but is now out of business.

Comments (14)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Cosmos atrosanguineus. Not rare. Try an independent garden center near you.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Chocolate BASIL.

• becky_op
    18 years ago

Home Depot had it in their selection of herbs as recently as two weeks ago. They might still have some...

• Mentha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I called HD and asked them to order it. That was weeks ago. Oh well. I guess I don't need one.

As far as I can remember cosmos doesn't look like a basil, nor is it edible. Are you sure that's what it is?

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

I didn't read your post right. Thus the 'Doh!' followup.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

I don't think there's any basil that smells or tastes like chocolate but some that look like it.... the red rubin and purple varieties.... :)

• Bunn
    18 years ago

Hello, Mentha,
    I too have searched for chocolate basil for a couple years now, and haven't found it yet. I've telephoned herb clubs, called seed companies, tried local garden shops, searched on-line, and exhausted 1-800-numbers. The results: 0. Below is one of two letters I sent to the Missouri Botanical Garden, and finally, their answer.
    I sent this in late '05 or January of 06. The first letter is mine:

Greetings,
    Two years ago during the Japanese Festival, my wife and I saw some interesting brown colored basil in the Kemper Gardens. It had a sign in front of it: "Chocolate Basil." When we knelt to smell its fragrance, lo and behold, it smelled like a blend of chocolate and basil. Another sign stated we could find where to obtain any vegetable or herb seeds in the Kemper Gardens by asking inside the Kemper office. When we inquired, no one could direct us to a source. I've since asked the seed buyer at the retail shop of Missouri Botanical Gardens, and I've re-inquired at the Kemper office. But everyone drew a blank with chocolate basil.
    I've called local herb clubs, called many nurseries, and inquired on-line at Garden Web. Ive called seed catalogue companies. No one could help. Several people suggested I may have seen a purple basil variety, but the sign by the plant in Kemper definitely named it "chocolate basil." Can you tell me where to find this herb, or whether
    I am chasing a myth?
    Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
    Robert -----

Hello:

We did, indeed, once display a plant identified as Ocimum basilicum var. 'Chocolate'. A senior staff member recalled that the seeds may have come from either Richter's Seeds or Cook's Garden. Their current catalogues no longer show this variety. We have not been able to identify a current source. If you wish to continue the search, we suggest using the following index: http://www.joeant.com/DIR/cat/1914

Thank you for your interest.
    jas

------ So, Mentha, there you have it. If you find some, please let me know. Good luck.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

I haven't heard of chocolate basil but many people grow chocolate mint. It has chocolate mint smell and flavor. It has dark stems and green leaves but of course it spreads and is somewhat invasive like all the mints do. I have been growing it here in S. LA.
    I hope you find chocolate basil, let us know if you come up with a source.
    ~SJN

• kay4714
    17 years ago

Hi Mentha.
    I was searching the Internet for chocolate basil recipes and found this forum. A coworker gave me some of this and it smells wonderful; however, I do not know if it is edible. Unfortunately, I do not know how or where she got it but I will ask. I do not know if a piece of it would survive being shipped but I am willing to try it if you send me your address.
    Kay

• redheadedwonder11
    15 years ago

Kay- has your plant produced seeds yet? Has it flowered? I am in search of chocolate basil and wanted to know a bit about it. Thanks!

• chocobasilover
    15 years ago

thanks for all the info everyone and if you find where it's being sold, please post on this forum.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

There is another group of us trying to find Chocolate Basil. We are looking in the NYC area, and the Ozarks area.
    If anyone knows of a source LMK @ this forum and we'll post info too.
    TIA
    oakleif

• bellashere
    13 years ago

kayla4714,
    Please may I get a cutting of the chocolate basil? I'll do the SASE, SASBE or whatever to try to root this beauty.

howellhampton@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks,
    Erika

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists