Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhay_gw

Outsidepride.com?

RHay
18 years ago

Has anyone ordered from this place? They specialize in grasses but appear to carry some flowers and groundcovers.

Comments (20)

• stlouisgardener
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I ordered ground cover seed from them. The oregano and thyme seed worked great!
    I also ordered wintergreen and christmas rose. They are notoriously hard to grow from seed but I thoguht I'd try them. I have several wintergreen seedlings slowly growing, however I couldn't get the christmas rose to sprout.

They shipped very fast and answered all my questions. I plan to order more oregano from them again soon.

• RHay
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So far the thyme seed I ordered from them is germinating well. I also ordered some cushion spurge and iceplant, but they haven't sprouted yet.

Outsidepride.com delivered my package promptly and the seeds were packaged well when they arrived.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

I know this thread is old, but after someone on another forum mentioned this company and I did a little checking, I felt a warning to possible future customers might be a good idea. Beware of Outsidepride.com! After looking at their reviews on the other well-known gardening site, it's pretty clear that this nursery has major customer service problems, frequent lack-of-quality concerns, a propensity to send hate-mail/SPAM to their customers, and a complete lack of honesty. In fact, they were caught adding multiple fake positive reviews to their own Garden Watchdog page. This company is BAD NEWS!

• jlivelyjr_satx_rr_com
    12 years ago

Don't deal with these crooks!!! After I placed my order I received a confirmation, an email stating that my order had been processed, another email stating that my order had shipped along with a UPS tracking number. Come to find out it never shipped. I was stuck losing a rental deposit because the seed didn't arrive when it was supposed to. There is no phone number to customer service so I emailed and the person that responded was rude and didn't help at all. I ended up charging back my credit card AND filing a BBB Complaint!

• joykwhitehead_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I placed an order for 3,000 seeds of Miscanthus Ornamental Grass, 6,000 seeds of Lagurus Ovatus Ornamental Grass and 400 seeds of Carex Testacea Ornamental Grass. My cost was $85.00. What I received was 3 small packets of Miscanthus that totaled 1.962 grams, 6 small packets of Lagurus Ovatus that totaled 2.862 grams and 2 packets of Carex Testacea totaling .458 grams.
    When I look at these 11 tiny packets I can only say "there is no way that I received 9,400 seeds." When I sent an email to question if I received the correct order they tell me that there are indeed 1,000 seeds per packet. However, when I look at other web sites I see the count of seeds and the weight of each packet and there is no way that they have sent me as many seeds as they claim. For example Lagurus Ovatus (bunny tail) on may sites that that their packets are 250 mg that contain 20 seeds. Yet this place says that a their packet is .477 grams (477 mg) has 1,000 seeds?!?!? Give me a break!!!
    I would like to open a packet to count them out, but the company said I cannot return them if they are opened.
    Their customer service is poor and frankly I think this is a company should avoided.
    I am returning my seeds tomorrow via Fed Ex and I will see how long it takes them to credit my card for the $85.00.

• auger_mary_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I ordered two Lobelia shaker seeds of 1000 seeds each. I planted as directed and waited and waited to no avail. When I contacted customer service several times I was told they needed more time to germinate. After months of waiting, i have no flowers and no response from their customer service staff. The telephone number on their website is incorrect and so you cannot ever speak to anyone. I would suggest that you avoid this company. I am reporting them to the BBB for sure.

• noemail_noemail_com
    12 years ago

This was the hate mail they circulated.

I wrote them this email before finding the hate mail. The negative reviews were mostly old and I figured I have some questions, so why not email them and ask and see how their customer service responds.

The conversation follows:

----- Original Message -----

To: support@outsidepride.com

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 1:28 PM

Subject: Outsidepride.com, Inc. Support Request

SUPPORT REQUEST NOTIFICATION

CONTACT INFO Contact Name: Address:

City:

REQUEST INFO Subject:
    Availability Message:

I called the 800# with questions and was informed it was for Orders only, literally. Then I was told to use this tab to contact you with questions. I don't know how I feel about not being able to verbally speak with the business I am giving my money to, especially with so many bad company reviews out there about your business and it's owner. What I am wanting to ask is if the Showtime Grass Seed Mix is something that is in stock and will ship out on time, or if it is back-ordered or out of stock. If treated and watered properly, in how many days should this mix show germination and in about how many week would it receive it's first mow and be able to be walked on at-least by pets? Also, I would need 3-4 50lb bags and wanted to know if you had bulk discounts like other grass seed retailers? With guarantees, what is your guarantee that the seed I get will be good, germinate and be successful and if we have issues, what would be the procedure to handle such issues? I appreciate your speedy reply as I wish to order today in an attempt to have it by Saturday (UPS states 2 days for my area). Thank you for everything!

THEIR REPLY

Subject: Re: Outsidepride.com, Inc. Support Request

Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:16:26 -0700

Bad reviews. We have a 99% approval rating in Amazon right now and an A+ BBB rating. There is nothing bad about that. Referring to a handful of bad review out of hundreds of thousands of orders is crazy. First, no order will ship until Monday. There are no discounts of seed of that amount since are margins are too low.

That grass will germinate in 7 days and be able to be mowed within 3 weeks and walked on. You can not possibly have a problem planting a grass seed mix if you follow the directions on our web site.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Outsidepride.com

My Reply

----- Original Message -----

To: bridgit@outsidepride.com

Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:42 PM

Subject: RE: Outsidepride.com, Inc. Support Request

Bridgit,

First off, I own a business. The first thing you should have asked is where I read these bad reviews. I have seen the BBB rating, which doesn't mean much now a days as people tend to not go to them with complaints like they used to. I searched for reviews about this company and only found one site with several reviews and atleast 75% of them were negative. They even had a fair amount of positive reviews that were removed because the website company said the reviews originated from from an IP address belonging to Outside Pride themselves and were fictional reviews.

I also checked your facebook page and found no one has shared a review there. So, where do I find these "positive" reviews? And to say I am "crazy" for basing my question about company quality on the "handful" of reviews I found is what is actually "crazy". One can only base their preliminary review on what they are able to find. If you have thousands of positive reviews, make them easy to find and direct me to them.

Also, I read your shipping policy clearly, "After an order leaves the warehouse, the map below shows the average transit ground time from Salem, OR. The day an order ships does not count as a business day. Therefore, if your order ships out on Monday and it is a 5 business day transit, it will not arrive until the following Monday." The map reflects a 2 day transit time. According to your shipping policy, I am not to count the day the order is placed, which would have been today. Thus, Wednesday the order is placed, so Thursday and Friday should be transit dates. Tomorrow is Thursday, if I order then it should send out Friday and Friday and Saturday are transit days.

"if you order a package on Monday via UPS 3 day select, your package will ship on Tuesday and arrive on Friday." UPS does deliver on Saturdays when you affix a "deliver on Saturday" sticker.

Their Reply

Maybe you care where there are bad reviews, but I could care less. We have been in business 11 years and process tens of thousands of orders a year. We grow every year and have over 10,000 repeat customers a year. All of our seed is the best seed available sold to nurseries, landscape companies, private gardens, homeowners, golf courses etc. We know we have the best products available, period. The only negative reviews I have ever even seen are from Dave's garden and most of those are from 5 years ago. Something like the last 9 out of 10 are all postive which is actually shocking since it has been proven that 90% of the people that post reviews only post them if they are disgruntled.

The shipping policy is true for the entire year accept this week. All orders shipped out Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but we are not shipping Thursday and Friday due to counting inventory.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Support

Outsidepride.com

How do you like that. They flat out said I don't care one bit about you, me or anyone else. This company is disgusting. I would never handle my business in such a way, from a business and a moral perspective, this is not how you treat people.

Here is a link that might be useful: This ad contains a copy of the hate mail circulated by outsidepride.com

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Reviving an old posting today. I was shopping online for tithonia seeds & hoping to find a vendor who also carries abutilon seeds to add to my order. I found outsidepride.com & was thrilled to see they carry an unusual variety of tithonia I've never heard of-a true red. It looked really nice. They also have a nice selection of some other seeds I'm interested in. I like their shipping fees, too. Before I placed my order I decided to check the seller out, now I'm not sure if I should order or not. Their reviews are quite mixed with some really negative ones. The homophobia is problematic for me but not a deal breaker (I have shopped with company's I disagree w/politically & my tax dollars often are spent on things I disagree w/morally) . The reviews of non-shipped orders & worse, poor customer service & bad germination are really troubling.

Then I decided to search elsewhere for the elusive red tithonia, but it seems to only be found on their website. And the photo of it is suspiciously grainy, while their photo of regular orange tithonia is crystal-clear. I'm left wondering if the red one is photoshopped? Has anyone ever seen a reliable true red tithonia? I love the orange & will grow it this year, but now I'm left wanting red too.

Here is a link that might be useful: red torch tithonia

• Stampeded
    10 years ago

These folks are notoriously horrible with regard to customer service, maybe as bad as any American-based internet company I've ever encountered. What I've read in this string only reinforces what I experienced - - they treat everyone this way. Here's my story - -

I ordered some seed from these folks. Buffalo grass. The seed barely germinated, even though I did exactly what needs to be done to replace a bluegrass lawn with buffalograss. Glyphosate the year before, scatter the seed the next spring, towed a drag behind an ATV to mis them into the soil, and then watered judiciously for weeks. Barely any germination whatsoever. Almost as if these folks repackaged old seed, although I realize that buffalograss can remain viable as a seed for 7-9 years. Rather than send out stolons (runners spreading across the surface of the soil) as buffalograss was supposed to do, our grass was actually rhizominous (spreadng underneath the soil).

I sent a note to outsidepride asking them about the germination rates. We bounced a couple of emails back and forth, during which time the person in "customer service" from outsidepride was verbally abusive. I told him I would work hard to inform potential customers about outsidepride in the hopes that they thought long and hard before doing business with these folks. His response:

"Buddy, we will have 75,000 orders this year. We run a 98% approval rating on Amazon. We don't even market any more because we don't have to. I am pretty sure we do just fine. The result was not insulting, it was fact."

Apparently the second sentence is true. They sure don't market, based on how they treat customers.

Amazing. Stay the heck away from this company if you think you might ever need to follow up with them for additional information. Caveat emptor - buyer beware.

RUN, don't walk away from outsidepride. Take your business elsewhere.

• steveimmel
    8 years ago

Don't order from this company. I ordered a shade blend that onlynhad about 20% germination. Their customer service said it didn't germinate because it got too much or too little rain....wrong as about 20% germinated. Customer serivice gave me a run around and would not stand behind their product. Buy local. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY with OUTSIDEPRIDE!

• Anna S
    8 years ago

I have ordered from them 8 different times. I have called them 4 times, but only emailed them twice. I have not had the issues that listed above and every time they spoke with them they were professional. As far as their seeds, I have had great germination with their wildflower seed, grass seed, and flower seed - direct sowed them. They answered all my questions about their pasture seed and mixes nicely and assisted in suggesting wildflowers for my bee habitat.

This all said - I normally buy local and think that's the best way to go.

• Bonny W
    8 years ago

Please do not buy from this Outsidepride. Their customer service is nonexistent. I placed an order on 2/15/16, and then heard nothing. It is now March 23, and no product. Nothing. And no one to call, since they truly have NO customer service number. None. The amount of my order was almost $800 - so I will be pursuing this aggressively. Just trying to warn others who might be lulled into thinking this is a legitimate company.

• Susan Soto
    8 years ago

Oy I just placed a huge order hopefully it comes!!! And germinates.

• mcgossweiler
    6 years ago

I bought a large order of grass seed this spring from Outsidepride and, without exageration, less than 1% of the seed germinated. I am very, very disappointed in the quality of this grass seed which is quite expensive. I was willing to pay it in order to purchase a quality product. I do not recommend buying from this company.

• rustyvvaughn
    6 years ago

DONT DO BUSINESS WITH Outside Pride. They (yes THEY) muffed up my order. Someone named Candy inferred I messed up the order online when infact I placed my order over the phone. They will do sales by phone but will not do customer service by phone. email only.

• James
    6 years ago

Purchased their blackjack bermuda seeds directly from their site and none of it germinated (3.5 weeks and counting). Should have read their warranty / return policies before I spent any money on this shady company. Should have also read their reviews here and on davesgarden.

Basically, if the seeds don't germinate it's your fault.

I sent a detailed explanation of how I prepared the soil etc etc and made a mistake of typing 1.8" instead of 1/8" and they said that's why my seed failed. I planted it too deep.

This was a bare spot touchup job so no way I would dig 2 inch deep. It was a simple soil tilling, removing all dead grass and weeds, adding peat moss, leveling, applying the seeds and then applying a top coat of lawn soil at a depth of 1/8".

I've had better success with the stuff I get at home depot. (Scott's and Pennington)

• HU-619738947
    4 years ago

I'M 67 - LIVE IN THE COUNTRY & GARDENED ALL MY LIFE -- I'M NOT A DUNCE NEWBIE -- BOUGHT 5 LBS EACH - WHITE CLOVER - YELLOW SWEET CLOVER - STRAWBERRY CLOVER -- WHITE CAME UP PRETTY GOOD -- NO YELLOW SWEET CLOVER AT ALL -- IT CAME UP OK BUT IT WAS MORE LIKE BLACK MEDIC OR HOP CLOVER - NO STRAWBERRY CLOVER CAME UP AT ALL -- I'M GOING ELSWHERE

• ahoy ahoy
    3 years ago

This company is awful. I placed anan order with them over a month ago and still haven't received it. Their customer service phone number doesn't respond to these types of calls only for new orders. You only can go through email The email responses I've been getting have been ridiculous. One person said they couldn't track the order another person said it was at the post office another person said that I had to go pick it up and they couldn't deliver it because I said that I didn't want it delivered. All of this is garbage I've been asking for them to send me new product and I'm not getting a response. at this point I asked them if they can't deliver it to just give me a refund and they've gone silent on me.

• ibchaz
    22 days ago

I had an order for around $350, a large amount of various seed, placed on Feb 22, 2024. It had not arrived 12 day later, so I checked the tracking number. FedEx received shipping label info on the 23, but as of March 5, 11 days later, they had still not been given my package! I called the Outside Pride order line, and as instructed I immediately filled out an online inquiry form at their website. I was assured someone would get back to me in a few hours. They did not. I also left a phone message at their office, and I sent a seperate email request and still got no response.

It seems they like to claim that people didn't really call and email them, so I have the time and date of the phone calls saved on my phone, and the email asking them to please quit ignoring me!

I only have a limited time for optimal planting. That meant I had to cancel the order--which I spent several hours researching and preparing--to find seeds elsewhere since no one was responding to my dilemna. This will leave me three weeks behind in my planting schedule. If they will blow off a $350 order from a repeat customer, don't expect them to jump through hoops if your pack of zinnia seeds doesn't arrive. If you have a critical order, you need to realize their idea of customer service is to ignore you if there is a problem, and they will leave you hanging.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures