Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Dwarf Peony

maifleur01
17 years ago

I am looking for a US source for a dwarf peony called Dutch Dwarf. I have located the plant in New Zealand but don't want to get a import permit unless I must.

Comments (10)

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I don't know about Dutch Dwarf, but Klehm's Songsparrow Farm may have something similar in their selection of "Rock Garden Peonies" (www.songsparrow.com). You won't have to pay for the APHIS import permit--that's free. BUT you would have to pay for phytosanitary inspection and shipping, and THAT isn't cheap.

Songsparrow DOES carry 'Elfin Beauty' and 'Lil Sweetie', two Krekler hybrids, one of which may be sufficiently similar to suit your needs.

Lisa

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, since Klehm's and I are both in the US no phytosanitary inspection is needed just the normal inspection. I am looking for the specific plant. Most of the Klehm's rock garden collection do not provide the fertility I want.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

maifleur, I just had an idea. Call/Email/Write and/or visit Mr. Hollingsworth in Maryville, MO. He might be growing Dutch Dwarf for the same reasons you want to grow it. Also contact Klehm's, since they did work with Krekler for many years--they may simply not have sufficient stock to list in the catalog.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about the phytosanitary certificate thing--I meant that yes, you would have to pay phyto inspection fees if you imported from NZ, BUT that the APHIS permit required in addition by the USDA doesn't cost anything. Of course you have to do neither if you can get 'Dutch Dwarf' in the U.S.`

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

With luck I will be at Hollingsworth on Sunday. Unless he has added it recently he did not have it in his growing areas last year. He did have some nice short new additions to his collection but did not have enough for division.

The thing with Dutch Dwarf is that everyone that I know that had one after they divided the plant the portions they kept died. It may be that there is something within it's makeup that dislikes division. I have been promised one in a couple of years but I want everything now. I know good things supposedly come to those who wait but I am a two yearold with my plants.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Maifleur, I can definitely relate to the impatience when it comes to obtaining a plant variety! I usually describe my own lack of patience as "a hyperactive toddler on crack". There's a holly variety I saw in an English garden magazine that I Simply Must Have, but right now it's only available in the EU. I'm still looking for Peony 'Asa Gray', mostly on principle at this point. Kelways in the UK had it, but between the plant and all the paperwork, I was looking at about $150 for a division. Too rich for my blood. My wishlist is longer than most plant catalogues :-)

Lisa

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linsey d'Ouste in Canada has Asa Gray http://www.paeonia.com/ Her website. She has some of the older varieties of French peonies. Heard her speak last year on peonies for an extended season.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

Thanks. Maifleur! It isn't much less expensive than Kelways, but I think I shall at least try to get 'Asa Gray'. Now where to plant him....

Lisa

• hoanita1
    11 years ago

I am looking for dutch dwarf peony also. did u have a chance to find it

• hoanita1
    11 years ago

I am looking for dutch dwarf peony also. Anyone know where can I find it

• ksmetamaid
    3 years ago

I just did a Google search for dwarf puny reviews and found this thread. What’s the latest? What were you able to find,? How big did they get? How do they perform?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?