Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheatgrass for Juicing

Posted by twmo 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 12:06

I have bought some wheatberries from a health food store and am going to start growing my own wheatgrass for juicing. I have several questions and hope someone can assist me?

I have looked online extensively but most info online is from people selling grow-indoors kit, or hydroponic kits. I do not have money to spend on that stuff, every penny counts right now.

1.) The store sold bags for $2.39/pound, is that a fair price?
2.) Could I use the wheat that farmers plant? I live next to a farmer who plants wheat, is it the same or is it different than I would want for juicing?
3.) Can I plant the wheatberries outside in the dirt(protected from the dogs)? It is about 60/night 80/day now, is it okay to sow the seeds directly in the dirt now (after soaking for the day?)
4.) If I have to container plant, how often do I water?
5.) I have a Jack LaLane juicer, can I use that to juice wheatgrass? If not, where can I get an inexpensive (but decent) juicer?

Thank you so much for any help anyone can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheatgrass for Juicing

• Posted by iacche z6 Eastern PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 10:36

I wouldn't use the wheat the farmers plant. It might be treated with something that might linger in the young shoots.

I can buy organic whole wheat berries at my supermarket (Wegman's in Eastern PA) for about a dollar a pound.

I can't help you with what kind of juicer you'd need.

As far as how to do it, there seem to be pretty good instructions on the SproutPeople website. I have no connection to SproutPeople and I'm not promoting them. But their pages have LOTS of useful information for how to do it. I've sprouted wheat before (just in a small jar), but I've never grown it into wheatgrass.

Their page on sprouting grass:
http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/grass.html

Their page on their wheatgrass kit (you don't need to buy the kit, of course, but you can use the information to improvise at home):
http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/kit/wgkit.html#Anchor-6296

(I've never posted links here, so I hope this works well enough.)

o
RE: Wheatgrass for Juicing

Hey there - honestly, it's not that expensive to grow. I have a blog that has a spreadsheet attached to the page that breaks down the cost see http://wickedwheatgrass.com/how-to-grow-wheatgras/the-cost-of-growing-wheatgrass/ . I managed to get the cost of a shot to $0.20 (letting the wheatgrass grow a second time) I'm not selling anything on there and give a straight account to growing and managing wheatgrass. It is great for you so I highly recommend growing it :) - Happy Juicing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cost of growing wheatgrass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here