Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosy_blush

Gardening Magazines

Rosy_blush
19 years ago

I'm not sure this is the most applicable forum for posting this, so I appologize if this topic is better suited elsewhere.

At any rate, I've been doing some searching and I have been having poor luck in finding some good gardening publications as far as magazines go, other then Better Homes & Gardens anyone have a magazine for the general gardener for suggestion?

Much obliged.

Comments (8)

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Personally, I like Fine Gardening, the regional magazine Louisiana Gardener, the magazine of the American Horticultural Society, which is The American Gardener, Horticulture, Garden Design--that's all I can think of that I really like! There's a magazine a lot of people like partly because it doesn't have any ads, but since the ads are part of what I read garden magazines for I don't get it. Also there are excellent magazines put out by various plant societies which are a very good way to get information about a specific plant group, like daylilies, or iris, or begonias---etc. I used to think you needed to know something to join a plant society, but then a gardening friend said he always joined a plant society when he thought he might be interested in a plant group, and I have found that to be a really good way to learn when I didn't know, or learn more when I knew a little.

• chloecleome
    19 years ago

I really like Garden Gate. They started out as a cheesy publication but have grown up and become a terrific read.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

I think regional magazines are great ...... Doesn't do you much to read a glossy article about eastern trillium or something in souther cal .

• gardener_sandy
    19 years ago

Check out your local library. Most have a nice selection of magazines there and you can look them over to see which ones you like best. Then contact the magazine and see if they will send you a sample issue. (Personally, I'm too cheap to subscribe to all those I want, plus it just adds to the waste stream, so I take advantage of the library when I can and catch up on the articles that interest me.)

• Josh
    19 years ago

Fine Gardening has a site you can browse to see if you think it would suit..link below. It's a little expensive for the content, I think. I usually take Horticulture and Garden Design and Gardens IlIustrated because they are good "reads" even if covering plants/gardens I wouldn't like as my own.

I think Horticulture also has a site. I almost forgot Country Living Gardens (I think that's correct name.

Years ago I subscribed for a year or so to Pacific Horticulture and Sunset magazines...I'd think they'd be best for west coast plants/advice. I enjoy the Carolina Gardener because it's geared for our hot humid weather. Didnt know there was a magazine for Louisiana...may have to check that out.

If you have gardening friends, ask them about back copies...they might be glad for more shelf space....or just let you borrow to read. One nice thing about gardening...95% of the info seems to remain the same. And the net is best for the very latest. jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Gardening

• greenelbows
    19 years ago

Josh, I think the people that put out Louisiana Gardener (www.louisianagardener.com) probably have a magazine for Georgia. I can't find any information in the magazine I just picked up (off the floor, not from the store!) but I know they put out an edition for Tennessee (my middle son lives there) and for other (just southern?) states. The publisher is State-by-State Gardening. A subscription is $24.95 a year I think. It's pretty new and may have started here, but it seems to me it keeps improving. It's nice to have a magazine that's not telling me how to deal with snow, or how to grow alpines, tho' of course northern Louisiana is somewhat a 'foreign climate' too.

• Josh
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and Louisiana Gardener looks interesting but I had a difficult time findng any mention of Georgia Gardener. The only reference didn't provide any URL or even subscription info. I'm emailing the LG to see what I can learn.

They do have a good book list. I was pleased to see Charlotte Seidenberg's book still in print. The type book I really enjoy: lots of good solid info but with a personal voice, humor and a little local history. Many of the plants she mentions aren't quite hardy here but with protection I can sometimes "bring 'em thru alive".

Summer is my reading time...I garden mostly for Fall thru early Spring. Very early morning is my only time in the garden during these hot humid days...just long enough to water all my containers. So I enjoyed this thread...always have an eye out for more garden reading. josh

• kimmienflorida
    19 years ago

Josh, There is a 'Georgia Gardening' mag. I've seen it on the mag rack at Barne's & Noble. I like it much better over 'Florida Gardening' because I'm just 20 miles south of the GA line in North Florida. FL Gardening is more tropical oriented to me.

Kimmie

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gardening

Sponsored