Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_sw_va_mts

Lasting marker?

Kathy_sw_va_mts
19 years ago

What do you use to make plant markers? Please give me a brand and source. It is discouraging to mark a plant and later find it is gone. Thank you for any help.

Comments (7)

• Greenthumb
    19 years ago

Use a #1 lead pencil rather than a marker. Pencil has never faded off of a label for me. The label will crumble and/or disintegrate before the pencil lead will fade off of the label. The lead of a #1 pencil is very dark (and it is much softer lead than is in a standard #2 pencil).

For labels that will really last, buy some old vinyl mini-blinds at a garage sale (or save one of your own) and then cut them into usable labels. Mini-blinds are treated so they won't break down in the sun and a pencil will write on a label really well.
    Good luck,
    Mike

• Greenthumb
    19 years ago

Oops...I meant that a pencil will write on a mini-blind really well.
    Mike

• Kathy_sw_va_mts
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Greenthumb, wish I had posted sooner. This place has been so good to me.

• iris_gal
    19 years ago

I use Mike's method too.

I also use a Uchida DecoColor opaque paint marker pen on 'bleach bottle' labels. That plastic is extremely durable. So far, 3 years, the label is good.

I bought the Uchida pen at the local hobby store. About $3.50.

• UllisGarden
    19 years ago

I like my markers to look pretty too, so I get creative. I use saladforks and V8 cans or other aluminum cans that don't have a deposit. I use tinsnippers to cut into top, then I cut a big rectangle out of the aluminum, cut it in half, fold edges over, write on it with very sharp pen and wedge it in between the tines. It looks almost like punched tin and will last for years.It looks like a piece of art instead like a mini blind LOL

• Kathy_sw_va_mts
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found a one in. wide blind at Big Lots, a dozen no.1 pencils. For $6.00 I figure I can make 300 markers. I also got some cute bug stickers and various colors of permanent markers for decoration. My markers just look so great. Thank you for your very good suggestions.

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

I rescued an old metal-bladed venetian blind - aluminum? - with baked-on enamel finish. Cut into desired lengths, can write on it with a 'permanent' marker, or use a nail(or an engraving tool, if you must) to scratch the ID, etc. into the enamel finish - that's REALLY permanent!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?