Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Unusual Fruit Nurserys

newyorkrita
21 years ago

I am looking for other Nurseries that sell an unusual selection of fruiting plants similiar to the types sold by Raintree and One Green World Nursery out in Oregon. I am familiar with Forestfarm and Edible Landscaping but am sure there most be others, especialy out in Oregon. One Green World does not ship in the Fall and Raintree does ship some items. But they both seem pricy and I know they ship extremely small plants.

Comments (16)

• lucky_p
    21 years ago

Hidden Springs Nursery, 170 Hidden Springs Lane, Cookeville, TN 38501. Send $1 for catalog. Good selection, very reasonable prices, lengthy experience growing 'minor' or unusual fruiting plants.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks! I am sending for their catalog.

• daughternature
    21 years ago

Woodlanders in Aiken South Carolina has some nice offerings. I just ordered a small juneberry at 8', dwarf pawpaw at 8', running chinquapin at 3', and some blueberry species. It's hard to find low growing edibles sometimes so I was pleased to find these.

Another source that I love is Oikos Tree Crops in Kalamazoo Michigan. They offer many specie edibles.

The Seed Savers Exchange Membership catalog,in Decorah Iowa, also offers fruits and edibles, both plant material and seed. You need to be a member to order from them. Great organization trying to preserve the diversity of our plants.

I have all the above mentioned catalogs so I hope others will come up with some new ones for me. It's always fun to come across a new source.

• lucky_p
    21 years ago

I'll second the nomination for OIKOS. You'll find fruiting & ornamental plants there that you most likely won't find anywhere else. Small, seedling plants that will transplant and grow with little to no transplant shock, and very reasonable prices. No grafted specimens, but since these are, for the most part, natives, fruit quality is going to be fairly constant.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Couldn't find a website for Oikos Tree Nursery. Do they have one?

• julia
    21 years ago

No Oikos web site. Call 616-624-6233 for catalog.

• lucky_p
    21 years ago

John H. Gordon, Jr., Nursery, in Amherst NY offers a good selection of nut trees and 'minor' fruits(pawpaw, persimmon, Corneliancherry dogwood, mulberry, etc.) for northern growers.

I have difficulty getting his website to link, so if it doesn't work, below, go to:
    http://www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon/OKgordon.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: John H. Gordon, Jr., Nursery

• Litlgaea
    20 years ago

I found one when I was hunting around yesterday.

Oregon Exotics
    http://www.exoticfruit.com/

They're still small, and have had a huge response, so they sell out of things quickly, but what I saw looked facinating.

• lucky_p
    20 years ago

Beware of Oregon Exotic, if they're even still in business. Some of their descriptions and claims are sheer fantasy. And, most of their stuff - citrus, in particular, is seedling stock which will be very thorny, and take many years to reach maturity and bearing. They may have some good stuff, but I've been warned off of them by more than one experienced fruit enthusiast whom I trust greatly.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

How about Burnt Ridge Nursery in Washington state? They have Blue Elderberry listed at $2.50 apiece while one Green World and Raintree have it at (I believe) $12.95 apiece. Of course neither tells what size the plants are but I have ordered from Raintree so I figgure I have a pretty good idea what size theirs would be.

• Greenthumb
    20 years ago

Oikos does have a web site now. I have attached a link to the site, below.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Oikos Tree Crops

• lucky_p
    20 years ago

I've rarely heard anything but good reports on Burnt Ridge, but understand that most of their stock will be small - don't think they 'push' their stuff with commercial fertilizers; everyone I've ever corresponded with who bought from them were pretty well pleased with how well their plants performed.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Lucky. I keep looking at the things on the Burnt Ridge Website. They seem to have a nice variety of things I would be interested in.

• Dani_fl
    20 years ago

I don't know if they sell trees,but I bought seeds and they all grew into trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.driftwoodgardens.com/

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

I have been reading "Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory" edited by Kent Whealy. It lists all different kinds with a nice description (including fruit flavor) and where each fruit is available. It has all the common fruits and berries along with sections on more unusual fruits and a whole section on miscellaneous fruits. Oregon Exotics is one of those referred to. Maybe if one is familiar with the fruit they are looking for and pays attention to Kent's description, you could get something good from them. This book is the 2001 3rd edition. I don't know if there is a newer one available. A search on Amazon only turned up this 3rd edition.

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

Well, just last night I read the introduction of the book and learned that the descriptions of the fruit flavors are taken directly from the different catalogs so that's no help indeterming if the fruit is actually good-tasting. Oh well, it was a good thought :-)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor