Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Boy Southern Field Pea and African Giant Peanut Seed

Posted by therahort 8b SC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 14:41

I am trying to find a reliable source for "Big Boy" southern field pea seed and "African Giant" and old-fashioned "Jumbo" peanut seed. Those are two varieties of peanut seed, and one variety of southern field pea seed that my mother and I were unable to obtain this year, even though they were advertised in several catalogs that we received early in the year, and from which we ordered early.
However, for one reason or another, the seed companies were unable to fill our orders. Several companies said that there was a crop failure with the "Big Boy" southern field pea seed. We did get $30.00 worth of the "Jumbo" peanut seed, but peanuts that we made did not seem to be true "Jumbo" peanuts, as they were made rich, but were smaller than the old-fashioned "Jumbo" peanuts that we used to plant. I sincerely hope that someone can help me find these seed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Boy Southern Field Pea and African Giant Peanut Seed

Have you tried your local feed store? That's where we get our purplehull pea & the other veggies. The one we use always has peanuts but we've never tried to grow peanuts so I don't know if the price would be comparable to catalog prices.

o

We only wish we could find them there. Our local feed store has a limited variety of seed, and neither of these two varieties. They have the jumbo, Colossus southern field pea, but it does not stay green like the "Big Boy" does, and its flavor is not as good as the "Big Boy." The "Big Boy" reminds me of a jumbo black eye southern field pea. Thank you for your reply, though.

o

I checked at the feed store here & they didn't have Big Boy, & the only peanuts they had was Spanish & one that started with V. 3 lbs. was something like $3.68. Hope you find what you are looking for!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here