Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okinawan or Hawaiian Sweet potato

Posted by Heathen1 10a (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 29, 04 at 0:51

Hi! I was reading the Nov. 2004 Sunset Mag, and saw this cooked Okinawan/Hawaiian sweet potato which when cooked turns a violent violet! :o) I gotta have some seeds! Or buy the potato...anywhere on the continent to get these? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okinawan or Hawaiian Sweet potato

There seems to be 2 or more purple potatoes.
White with purple flesh and purple with purple.
This page has seed potatoes.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/Plants & Roots.htm#SWEET POTATOES

There is a produce company in Calif. that carries these.
Go all the way to bottom of page.
http://www.dorevaproduce.com/varieties.asp
Also do a search on the Vegetable Forum. Someone there metioned having slips of the purple/purple.
Also I think the ornamental potato 'Blackie' is the same thing. Either that or the pink and green variegated.
My friend from the Phillipines mentioned it once.
I'll check with her tomorrow.

o

no...the ornamental blackie isn't... that is a different one. I found it at Glasshouseworks, so the problem is solved! Thank you for your time! I am going to check out the produce place right now.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 9, 04 at 20:40

S. Facciola (Cornucopia II) lists it as 'Okinawa', says the flesh "changes to a lilac-magenta color". Also notes that it is "Somewhat of a shy bearer in California, producing roots spottily and away from the center of the plant."

Another one he describes as having "flesh deep purple when cooked" is 'Mexican Purple'.

He indicates Exotica Rare Fruit Nursery, Vista, California as a source for both (as of 1998). Sand Hill Preservation Center, Calamus, Iowa is also listed for 'Okinawan'.

o

We found these wonderful tuber at the Framers Market in Hilo. Am looking for a source for them on the west coast. Would like to try growing some in my greenhouse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here