Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Compleat Botanica or database software

Posted by jliddil (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 05 at 18:02

I am looking for opinions of Compleat Botanica or other plant/seed database software. Since the company that makes CB does not offer a trial or download version I wanted to see how the company was in general with technical issues and how good is the software.

Are there other equivalent packages that people have evaluated? I really have found very little that is close to this at least from the description. I am also considering just building something from scratch in OpenOffice Base.

Or maybe someone has a homebuilt database the would be willing to share?

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Compleat Botanica or database software

I have this software and have yet to figure it out. However powerful it may be, it's not intuitive or user-friendly. There is no simple menu that says "click here to add a plant" or "click here to add a photograph." The tutorials are not particularly helpful. They're long on the virtues of the software and short on step-by-step how-to's. What step-by-step's there are don't help much.

Of course, perhaps I'm just an idiot. You might do fine with CB. But my impression is the program designers were so lost in the details that they forgot that others approach the software without prior knowledge.

But I'm not ready to give up. I definitely like the idea of a software with botanical substance. As a home gardener rather than a botanist I may not be able to avail myself of all Compleat Botanica has to offer, but I want that depth available if I do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here