Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappybob

Spinach transplants

snappybob
19 years ago

Does anyone know of a place where I can order Spinach transplants to plant directly in my garden. The nursery's in my area for the last few years have been carrying Coho spinach transplants. It's the only way that I have succesfully grown spinach as I have not had any luck with sowing seeds directly in the garden. Whoever supplies the nurserys in San Antonio obviously dropped the ball this year and didn't grow any. They realized their mistake and planted recently but transplants won't be ready until December. A little late for planting spinach inthis area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Comments (3)

• Bunn
    19 years ago

Bob,
    Spinach seeds are so easy to handle and space that they're a cinch to plant and harvest--if you remember two things: 1) Spinach prefers a cool soil and germinates fine at 40-55 degrees. Nancy Bubel in her Seed Starter's book writes that spinach germinates at temperatures as low as 32 degrees, but it takes a while. 2) Spinach has learned to give itself the best chance of survival, that is, to flower and reproduce itself. So, its seed often does not come up if the day length is too long. So, if you plant when the days are too long (for spinach), it may not come up at all, or if it does, it will bolt while still tiny. My advice is to plant early while the days are short. I germinate mine in trays in February, indoors, and carry them to my cold frame when they come up. If the weather goes below twenty-eight, or so, at night, I bring them in and cart them back out in the morning. Then in a couple weeks, I transplant them in my garden, with maybe a bit of straw around them for some protection. You will have to adjust this a bit for your warmer zone. Pay attention to the specific qualities of your cultivars and try to match your plants to it. The seed companies usually have a toll free number that you can call for suggestions as to which cultivar are the best for your climate. They really "know their stuff."
    -----Bunn

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

SnappyBob,

Just happened upon this thread by chance. (Don't usually go to this forum.)Way back when I was stationed at Wilford Hall, I had a garden over at Brooks, and I had great success planting my spinach in December. It would just lie dormant, or grow very slowly for awhile, but when the fickle Texas weather was right, it took off. In fact spinach was one of my best crops. But you are right, you can't start it much from seed the rest of the year. I'd try successive sowings from November through December. Well, for this year, get out there now!! :-)

Enjoy that wonderful san Antonio climate, charm, hospitality, just all of it for me! SA is dear husband and my absolute favorite town!

Best of luck with that spinach,
    cantstop

• dudleydorite
    19 years ago

want to share something i learned from our spring, semiannual plant swap in san marcos. it's Malabar (climbing) Spinach. makes round, delicious leaves that you can pick as it climbs. seems to get along in our 100º heat. has taken the place of lettuce for salads and sandwiches. makes lots of seeds -- have a few i could send.

regards, dick