Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen64_gw

source for seeds - syringa miss kim

karen64
20 years ago

Who sells lilac 'miss kim' seeds? Impossible to find as of yet. thank you, karen

Comments (5)

• perennialprincess
    20 years ago

Karen: doubtful you will find any seed of S. 'Miss Kim' - it is typically clonally propagated by rooted cuttings to keep it true to name. It is not patented or trademarked - have you tried to take cuttings? It is not too difficult. PP

• karen64
    Original Author
    20 years ago

PP. Thank you for your quick, informative reply. I have propogated many things but have not as of yet had much success or experience with hardwood cuttings. I have a mature Miss Kim which I have several seeds from. 1) will I not get the same plant from these seeds? 2) Which method would you recommend for propogating cuttings? I would love to give it another try, the cuttings. Thank you.

Karen

• perennialprincess
    20 years ago

Karen: you certainly could try to germinate those seeds, but most likely the plants will not be the same as the parent. But, who knows, you may get something even better. If you truly want Miss Kim, try taking softwood cuttings in early summer - it is not difficult to root. Take a 4-6" cutting, and strip the leaves from the bottom inch or so. Dip the end in a rooting hormone, and stick in sand or perlite. Keep it humid, and the media moist, and you should have a rooted cutting by the end of the season.

If perchance, you just want to go buy some Miss Kim, you can get them either container grown or bareroot - the bareroot would save you some money. I love the fragrance of this lilac, and think it makes a great informal hedge.

Hope I've given you some helpful info . . .

PP

• karen64
    Original Author
    20 years ago

PP: Thank you. I've printed out the above information. I'm going to plant the seeds, try some hardwood cuttings and then try the softwood in early summer as you explained. It is a lovely shrub! And I find myself addicted to propogating anything I love, or anything period. Karen

• jwbill
    14 years ago

I was not successful in germinating Miss Kim seeds that were collected last fall.
    I have, however, had 75% success with softwood cuttings that are collected just as the blooms are opening. You need a plastic tent (or similar method of retaining moisure in the air surrounding the cuttings) and a rooting hormone for softwood cuttings (less potent than one for hardwood cuttings). Withing 6-8 weeks the rootsare developed enough to remove the plastic tent.. Hope this helps. Sounds like PP has some great ideas also. Oh,and remember that for a simple plastic tent (without a mist system) you have to keep the cuttings out of direct sunlight or it will get too hot inside...

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022