Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
source for seeds - syringa miss kim

Posted by karen64 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 30, 03 at 11:23

Who sells lilac 'miss kim' seeds? Impossible to find as of yet. thank you, karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: source for seeds - syringa miss kim

Karen: doubtful you will find any seed of S. 'Miss Kim' - it is typically clonally propagated by rooted cuttings to keep it true to name. It is not patented or trademarked - have you tried to take cuttings? It is not too difficult. PP

o

PP. Thank you for your quick, informative reply. I have propogated many things but have not as of yet had much success or experience with hardwood cuttings. I have a mature Miss Kim which I have several seeds from. 1) will I not get the same plant from these seeds? 2) Which method would you recommend for propogating cuttings? I would love to give it another try, the cuttings. Thank you.

Karen

o

Karen: you certainly could try to germinate those seeds, but most likely the plants will not be the same as the parent. But, who knows, you may get something even better. If you truly want Miss Kim, try taking softwood cuttings in early summer - it is not difficult to root. Take a 4-6" cutting, and strip the leaves from the bottom inch or so. Dip the end in a rooting hormone, and stick in sand or perlite. Keep it humid, and the media moist, and you should have a rooted cutting by the end of the season.

If perchance, you just want to go buy some Miss Kim, you can get them either container grown or bareroot - the bareroot would save you some money. I love the fragrance of this lilac, and think it makes a great informal hedge.

Hope I've given you some helpful info . . .

PP

o

PP: Thank you. I've printed out the above information. I'm going to plant the seeds, try some hardwood cuttings and then try the softwood in early summer as you explained. It is a lovely shrub! And I find myself addicted to propogating anything I love, or anything period. Karen

o

I was not successful in germinating Miss Kim seeds that were collected last fall.
I have, however, had 75% success with softwood cuttings that are collected just as the blooms are opening. You need a plastic tent (or similar method of retaining moisure in the air surrounding the cuttings) and a rooting hormone for softwood cuttings (less potent than one for hardwood cuttings). Withing 6-8 weeks the rootsare developed enough to remove the plastic tent.. Hope this helps. Sounds like PP has some great ideas also. Oh,and remember that for a simple plastic tent (without a mist system) you have to keep the cuttings out of direct sunlight or it will get too hot inside...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here