Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trowelgal

Looking for garden club programs.

Hi,

I have recently been appointed as the garden club president for my city's garden club. At this time I have a number of ideas for programs but would also like to hear from you. What have you attended or taught that really was well received by the audience? What were the "duds"? Our presenters only get about 20-25 minutes to deliver the program. I am also interested in field trips, make and takes for the garden. Thanks for any ideas you have to offer.

Tina in Kansas, Zone5

Comments (3)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Recommendations on trips depend where you are located.

The Master gardener program members must do presentations as part of their training. These can range from I am only here to get points or very interesting. I would suggest that you plan your speakers so that they will speak a month or two in advance of their topic. New plants should be January/February. Fall clean up and composting September. Planting vegetable or flower gardens can be in three parts, cool weather veggies and flowers, summer blooming or bearing, fall gardening. Herbs are always popular although there are many people that sell or produce herbal products try to stick to planting and growing herb plants. For this there could be a grower in the area that may only do one herb such as lavender.

Although it is expensive a field trip to several nurseries in the area can be great fun.

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Plan on a service program for members and their families. Could be getting permission from your city to do plantings arround signs or doing plantings at any community center or public building. Nursing homes can use a lift with a few planters for the doorways. Try to find a place that will donate the plants and bedding materials. Your club should follow up with weeding and maintainence.

Sorry I forgot those on my first post.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

I recently joined a local garden club in Maryland and if you email me, I could give you a list of what the programs are that are planned for this year. Have you tried to google Garden Clubs for your local area. I think Garden Clubs have to be registered with a county registery or state. That's how I found our garden club. We have about 70 members and it's a nice group and not a snobbish, social climbing garden club. We even have about 10 or 12 men in the club. I think maybe most of them might have a landscaping business on the side or just enjoy gardening and one can learn a lot from them.