Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chasmanthe

Thompson & Morgan overrated?

chasmanthe
19 years ago

I just received my first T & M snailmail catalogue. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE PRICES! 4 seeds for 6.97? I thought these guys were the leaders in novelty and new hybrids, but their pictures look retouched (like those "giant tomatoes" held by a teensy kid), and species heirlooms that have been around forever are offered as if they were new inventions, or T & M exclusives (such as Balloon Vine).

It seems so many folks' Wish Lists come directly from T&M's catalogue - fancy hybrid names that I suspect are not much different from the traditional varieties we've been growing for years.

I'm not usually so cyncial. Someone please tell me you bought seeds from T&M that grew into something you've never seen before. I thought these guys were the best!

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• goblugal
    19 years ago

I can tell you that from a professional viewpoint that are overrated! Way too many wonderful "unique" things that aren't unique at all (many are just renames of varieties available from everyone else), too many things that the average home gardener won't be able to grow, high prices, poor quality. It's all about marketing!

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Perhaps for some things they are overrated but they do carry a large selection of unusual seeds...... as far as prices...... :)

• birdgardner
    19 years ago

not good germination either - I got 20-30% on tomatoes and some things never germinated - I used to blame myself. Some packets did germinate just fine, some didn't,

• BruMeta
    19 years ago

Yes, I think so. My experience: poor germination.

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

What I have heard from many garderns ( I had this experience with Parks) is perhaps that the larger seed companies don't have as good germination because they have mass supplies of seeds...... some unusual ones (that don't get sold) and that they get some seeds from outside supplier..... many say small seed companies are the best.... try pinetree garden jl hudson and mikamoki..... and baker creek and victory :)

• pitimpinai
    19 years ago

Poor germination. Overpriced. And I heard from another weber that the seeds I bought from TM might not be the right seeds either.

• nuggy
    19 years ago

I used to buy my seeds from T&M, before I got wise. Thanks to the internet it is easy to find much better seed companies at a much better price. Last year I had 3 types of seed not germinate, that I bought from T&M. To be fair, I contacted them and they replaced the seeds (which did germinate). The prices are high, but the catalogue is good as a reference. The seed company I buy my seeds from now is J L Hudson Seedsman - fantastic.

Sue

• gulliblevolunteer
    19 years ago

Last year I ordered a packet of seeds from T&M. The germination wasn't bad, so I ordered another packet of the same seeds this year. A few years ago T&M stopped stamping the "year packed for" on their seed packets, and just started putting a lot number, instead. The lot number of the seed packet they sent me this year is identical to the lot number on the seed packet from last year.

• Mandyvilla
    19 years ago

I bought some T&M seeds, Royal Botanical Gardens, at Merrifield Garden Center. My salvia seed packet was EMPTY!!! The package had a little packet inside the big packet, so I was alerted to very tiny seeds before opening. There was zip, nada, nothing in there - opened all the seams. Grabbed an envelope and mailed back to T&M on 1/29/2005. Not holding my breath. The seed packet did have "if for any reason you are not satisfied blah, blah, blah...." please return to ..... I did, with a note. BTW, if you have germination issues with their seeds, I would recommend returning to the address on the seeds. Maybe more people need to complain. Will give them 30 days before I write some scathing remarks over at gardenwatchdog. Suz

• Mandyvilla
    19 years ago

Wow, guess what was in my mail today? Not only 2005 T&M seed catalog (their website states they are out), but a replacement seed package. While not RBG, they did pick out the closest to my original packet (they sent Cherry instead of the salmon color). So, I have to give them credit - the replacement seeds are most likely in the UK, and wouldn't get to me in time. Can't guarantee seeds are in this package yet, don't plan to open until ready to sow. Sooner is better than later, and something is better than nothing. Suz

• ellen_inmo
    19 years ago

Overrated, WAY overpriced, and definite poor germination. Has there been a discussion anywhere about the possibility of companies repackaging old seeds into new packs, with this year's date stamped on them? I mean, who in the heck would ever REALLY know the difference? Not that I pay attention to sell by dates, but when it comes to this company, with repeated poor germination rates, and every one else having the same problem, you just gotta wonder.......... I am so through with them.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    19 years ago

I have to put in my experiences with the company because they are completely different than the other postings. I have been buying from them for 20 years. In that time I have had almost no failures. Attention to the Germination Times they send is very helpful. One year I had quite a loss and contacted them. All seeds were replaced and additional seeds were sent for the inconvenience. In retrospect I wonder if the fact they were delivered during a blizzard in -20oF temperatures had something to do with it. Sometimes I will get a packet that has extra packets in the pack with a note that the germination rates were not up to standard so they were sending extra to make up for it. All seeds have been in airtight packages. Stored at cool temps they will keep for years. When I have compared prices per quantity they are usually not much more expensive than the same seeds from other companies although not in all cases. A lot of it has to do with the different tastes of British gardeners although with the introduction of different catalogs for different coutries that is not so much of a problem anymore. I still get more selection from them than from other companies. I rarely buy the more common varieties from them. I can get those cheaper at WalMart. Sandy

• msgaz
    19 years ago

I have bought from T&M several times with mixed success. I just found a new site. A small company with great prices and great customer service. They also have a Referal Club. You get 1.00 for every person you refer that makes a purchase. I've already made 5.00 this week which paid for my order. mggardenfaerie.com.

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I have had rather mixed results and mixed feelings about T&M, but I have to make two points in their favor. One, as to the high prices of seeds when you only get a few--that's a positive to me. I really HATE getting 1000 seeds! Even if I have to pay more, I'd rather get less and not waste so many. The other point, and the one that brought me back here, is that a few years ago I got two (2!!) yellow Clivia seedlings. Don't remember how much they were, tho' quite a bit. I was aware that my chances of actually getting a yellow clivia from unbloomed seedlings were not overwhelmingly good. The first one bloomed this month--and it's yellow! The other one should bloom next year. I'm pretty pleased! (Of course, the price is coming down now, but I'm still pleased.)

• dlbutlin_eprimus_co_uk
    16 years ago

On 6th April 2007 I ordered 40 blue double Petunia Priscilla young plants and 3 Miss Lucy bulbs from Thompson & Morgan. On 18th April the full cost of £41.96 was deducted from my credit card. Eventually, on 13th June I received delivery of red, pink, blue and lemon single Petunias. An accompanying slip, with a £2.50 T&M gift voucher, stated that the company was unable to carry out my order "due to unexpected demand." Only the small ancillary order for the bulbs was delivered appropriately.
    No attempt had been made to ascertain whether or not I would accept the substitutes, which have turned out to be of extremely poor quality.
    My letters of complaint of 18th June and 12th July, the latter claiming a refund for goods that are "not fit for purpose," remain unacknowledged.
    I rate Thompson & Morgan at the lowest possible level.

• homegrown54
    16 years ago

Amen to that, and double YES YES to Baker's Rare Seeds. Fantastic germination rate, great service, and they are truly stewards of nature.

• dogdaze3001
    16 years ago

I have had some experience with T&M and have to agree with many of the comments posted. I first came across the company many years ago and observed a significant change in practice as time went by, in particular I noted the vastly increased "hype" associated with their products (does anyone remember the edible carp for sale!); this I attributed to their increased focus on the U.S.A. market  in particular the usage of what I would refer to as "Americanisms", in the catalogue descriptions. I see from comments posted here that you guys have now got your own!

As a customer of their seeds I was once invited to promotional event that they had organized in conjunction with a garden centre in a neighboring county. Whilst there I saw some fantastic gerberas on display, I asked one of their reps about where I could acquire seeds of these plants, and was somewhat sheepishly told that these where vegetatively propagated clones that where not available and were only for purposes of display! Partly as a result of this experience - in which I felt that T&M had been lest than honest - I took my custom elsewhere.

I have also observed that the T&M marketing drive extends to U.K. gardening magazines aimed at the amateur, there being frequent mentions of this company in various articles and presentations sometimes "ad nauseum", which implies to me that some product placement deal is in operation.

I would suggest that potential customers view the claims and additional hype that T&M generate "cum grano salis", and to make full use of sites like this and also the internet in general when sourcing seeds and plant material.

• wildtek
    16 years ago

Buy the easy to grow plants. They germinate and they'll save you a good bit. The more difficult material, is that, more difficult. I may have been the problem. (See scarification, stratification, cold periods, light/no light, some take years to germinate, etc. etc..)

• susan79
    14 years ago

I recen tly bought a set of 5 plug plants (begonias) from T & M. I unpacked carefully but 2 plugs had no plant, of the rest 2 lst their leaves very quickly and 1 lasted a few days in a protected position and has now lost its leaf. I complained by telephone a day later and was promised a replacement and a confirmatory e.mail. Nothing happened. I called and was promised a return call within 4 working hours. Again nothing. I had much better service from another small UK based seeds and cuttings supplier which I shall use in future. I hope people will pay attention to the comments on garden web

• vineyarder
    14 years ago

Want frustrating? Try dealing with Woodlanders Nursery. They have a very strict and strange shipping policy. They don't give a deadline for ordering, but have decided it is a shipping deadline, which leaves one guessing. This past time, they accepted my order, then emailed me back denying it saying they couldn't get to it before their designated shipping deadline of March 31 (early spring?). When I told them of my frustration, the owner, Robert McCartney, said, and I quote: "We hate to loose (sp) a customer but one less Massachusetts yankee with attitude is not likely to make me loose (sp) any sleep."

Sponsored