Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Flooding problem: French Drain or Dirty Water Submersible pump?

chueh
14 years ago

{{gwi:335857}}

{{gwi:335858}}

We have had this house for 3 years. Whenever it rains, there is clay water collected on walk way. The flooding gets worse and expands. I was thinking of digging a trench for a French drain to redirect the water. On the other hand, my husband who always favors short and quick fixes likes using machines to do all the jobs, except himself. He suggested that we use a dirty water submersible pump. I saw the advertisement of the pump and the picture of it on the local shops, yet I have no idea how it works. Anyway, it does not look promising to me at all.

Please take a look at the exact same picture of our problematic walk way. The deepest water depth is where I drew with the blue pen. I am thinking of digging a trench where I drew with pink pen. The orange-brown line is where all the water is going. Our right side neighbor is much higher than us; whereas our left side neighbor is lower than us. I think that the trench just needs to reach to the middle of the yard.

Which method is more practical and aesthetic? And When either the method is used, what should I pay attention to? What else I should know about doing it?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Where is your husband going to pump the water to? If to a sewer in many places you can be fined. May I suggest a third suggestion. You could place a water garden in the area that is dark by digging small shallow pond and using plants that do not mind getting their feet wet occasionally.

To me it appears that you should receive runoff from the road also. You could combine artistic dry creeks to run into the shallow basin. Since much of Georgia has been in a drought you might want to discuss with your neighbors about "normal" rainfall. What ever you do you do not want to cause flooding or block drainage to your neighbors causing them problems. Makes for better neighbors is you don't tick them off or direct water to their places.

• chueh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you maifleur. What you said makes sense. Hm..... great idea..for a little pond. I always want one, yet the water here is very clayyyyyyyyyyyyy. It would probably be a dirty looking pond, LOL

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

If you use a 2-3 feet or more strip of grass around the pond/dry creek bed it would lessen the amount of dirt that gets into the pond. I would use a mixture of short and medium, about 10 inch, grasses or other plants to slow the movement of the water into the pond. The grasses will trap much of the sediment. Even if the pond is dirty the way light reflect you probably would not notice unless you are a couple of feet away. There are some things that you can get to help clear the water but they depend more on you soil and temperature.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

It's difficult to tell where the water flows after it leaves your property, but looks like another road or drive where the police car sits.? It looks like you have negative grade in the area closest to your house. If this was done by a landscaper or contractor, then this is a poor job. As far as I know you have the right to have water flow from your property. Is the water flow from the right coming from your neighbors property? It's really tough to give advise without knowing all of the entire story. But, I think that I would put in a french drain, as you indicated in pink, that extends under the standing water on the far side of your property. This would take care of that problem, too. I would get a small excavating company do the job. Do any of your neighbors downspouts connect to anything? I see that yours just spills out onto the concrete. If you could tie in your downspouts to a drain this would probably take care of it. Is there a storm sewer at the street? I have more questions than answers.
    You just have to help gravity do its job.

Luke

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Here it is a major offense to connect to any sewer, storm or otherwise. Had a new storm sewer in front of house and was told that if the connections to the old storm sewer were after we had purchased the house we would have had a major fine to pay. Hubby knew the engineer. In this area and others it is becoming against the law to not have a holding tank to prevent runoff on new construction. A friend near Philadelphia built an new garage and was required to put a 1900 gallon holding tank in. She was able to convince the powers that be to allow her to attach a manual water pump to it for use in her garden. You might as well be up on runoff information because with the droughts the last 5-10 years people are starting to be concerned about what runoff does and how it should be prevented. Always check with your regional codes or sewer district before attaching anything to a sewer line.

• chueh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all.... Hm.. Will find someone to check the condition

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Is the builder or developer still in business? Maybe contact them or the city or county. Don't know which dept. of the city or county government you would contact but I'd start there. Probably since you've been in your home for 3 yrs. the builder/developer won't do anything for you. Maybe Dept. of public works for your city or county government is a start.

Sponsored