Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

What's your favorite hand lotion for those garden weary hands?

flowersandthings
19 years ago

What's your favorite hand lotion (salve etc.) for those garden (and now cold and indoor heat!) weary hands? I've tried those salves like Burt's Bees but some are so greasy and I don't find they work all that well...... the thin lotions don't work either...... any rich wonderful lotions for the hands? Has anyone tried Dr. Hunters hand salve? Or H2O's? or Burt's Bees bannanna? Or other?

Comments (10)

• ericwi
    19 years ago

The most effective hand cream I have found, for dry skin, including the hands, is "A & D ointment." It comes in a tube, & I think most drug stores have it, over the counter. This stuff is definitely greasy- the first ingredient listed is cod liver oil. But it works.

• ademink
    19 years ago

Most of the "bag balms" or udder creams work great!!! I'm currently using something great called Crack Cream. For split cuticles or fingers, NOTHING beats Burt's Bees cuticle cream!

• violet_sky
    19 years ago

I love Queen Helen's Hand Cream. It's not too greasy and it smells like coconut. Plus it's inexpensive and can be found at RiteAid.

But if you don't mind shelling out some $ for lotion Origins cocoa therapy is devine! I could eat it as much as wear it... it smells like chocolate with a hint of citrus orange... yum! Also not too greasy [which I don't like either]

Here is a link that might be useful: Origins Lotion

• mysteryrose
    19 years ago

First use glycerin soap to insure hands aren't dried out. Then Bag Balm.

• berrygirl64
    19 years ago

I have to second ademinks recomendation of Burt's Bees cuticle cream.

As far as hand lotion goes, I have been using a FANTASTIC el cheapo for a couple years now: Suave Naturals in Cucumber Melon. It smells delicious,too! It absorbs really fast and is not greasy. You can get it really cheap at Wal- Mart.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

Zim's Crack Creme spray that I bought at Walgreens is by far the best product I've used. It's not greasy and heals the cracks on my fingers very quickly.

I planted 400 daffodil bulbs Sunday and had rough cracked hands. My hands and cuticles are beautiful and smooth today.

I used to use Burt's carrot hand cream which I liked, but this is much better.

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

This may or may not be helpful, but I had a lot of trouble finding creams or lotions that worked after a few applications and discovered I was allergic to something in many of them. It's not a serious allergy that would be obvious to anyone right away, just a matter of feeling like I need more and more for less and less effect. To make matters more complicated the ingredient I was tested as allergic to (it's called Balsam of Peru!) is not listed on the label and is in many cosmetics and cleaning products. If that's your problem I wish you luck! If I find a soap or shampoo or whatever I use it until they 'improve' it and I can't use it any more. Used to love to experiment and try new products!

• laxmom4x
    13 years ago

I love Burt's Bees cuticle cream for my nails, but it doesn't cut it for my poor psoriatic hands, who really hate soap and water. (It's a heart break) I have a tin of Burt's hand salve in my garden trug, but I really don't like the smell. I discovered Kiehl's argan (fair trade) skin salve, which isn't greasy nearly as long as other ointments, and the smell takes me back to the 60s. It's great! Down side, it is NOT cheap. But I've used it daily for 3 weeks, and 98% of it is still in the jar.

• hookedongardens67
    13 years ago

just use a very small amount of vasolene. Yeah, a bit disgusting but if your hands get as bad as mine, you'll get use to it.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz