Return to the Garden Sources Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite hand lotion for those garden weary hands?

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 04 at 22:59

What's your favorite hand lotion (salve etc.) for those garden (and now cold and indoor heat!) weary hands? I've tried those salves like Burt's Bees but some are so greasy and I don't find they work all that well...... the thin lotions don't work either...... any rich wonderful lotions for the hands? Has anyone tried Dr. Hunters hand salve? Or H2O's? or Burt's Bees bannanna? Or other?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite hand lotion for those garden weary hands

• Posted by EricWI Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 15, 04 at 14:00

The most effective hand cream I have found, for dry skin, including the hands, is "A & D ointment." It comes in a tube, & I think most drug stores have it, over the counter. This stuff is definitely greasy- the first ingredient listed is cod liver oil. But it works.

o

Most of the "bag balms" or udder creams work great!!! I'm currently using something great called Crack Cream. For split cuticles or fingers, NOTHING beats Burt's Bees cuticle cream!

o

I love Queen Helen's Hand Cream. It's not too greasy and it smells like coconut. Plus it's inexpensive and can be found at RiteAid.

But if you don't mind shelling out some $ for lotion Origins cocoa therapy is devine! I could eat it as much as wear it... it smells like chocolate with a hint of citrus orange... yum! Also not too greasy [which I don't like either]

Here is a link that might be useful: Origins Lotion

o

First use glycerin soap to insure hands aren't dried out. Then Bag Balm.

o

I have to second ademinks recomendation of Burt's Bees cuticle cream.

As far as hand lotion goes, I have been using a FANTASTIC el cheapo for a couple years now: Suave Naturals in Cucumber Melon. It smells delicious,too! It absorbs really fast and is not greasy. You can get it really cheap at Wal- Mart.

o

Zim's Crack Creme spray that I bought at Walgreens is by far the best product I've used. It's not greasy and heals the cracks on my fingers very quickly.

I planted 400 daffodil bulbs Sunday and had rough cracked hands. My hands and cuticles are beautiful and smooth today.

I used to use Burt's carrot hand cream which I liked, but this is much better.

o

This may or may not be helpful, but I had a lot of trouble finding creams or lotions that worked after a few applications and discovered I was allergic to something in many of them. It's not a serious allergy that would be obvious to anyone right away, just a matter of feeling like I need more and more for less and less effect. To make matters more complicated the ingredient I was tested as allergic to (it's called Balsam of Peru!) is not listed on the label and is in many cosmetics and cleaning products. If that's your problem I wish you luck! If I find a soap or shampoo or whatever I use it until they 'improve' it and I can't use it any more. Used to love to experiment and try new products!

o

Aloe & Jojoba Creme Therapy from Made from Earth - hands down!

I use my hands ALL day long. Mother of 3, PTA and an 8x10 garden. The Made from Earth really moisturizes my hands, and you can really tell its a good products - better than the cheap chemical stuff you find at the local shops. Highly recommended!

o

I love Burt's Bees cuticle cream for my nails, but it doesn't cut it for my poor psoriatic hands, who really hate soap and water. (It's a heart break) I have a tin of Burt's hand salve in my garden trug, but I really don't like the smell. I discovered Kiehl's argan (fair trade) skin salve, which isn't greasy nearly as long as other ointments, and the smell takes me back to the 60s. It's great! Down side, it is NOT cheap. But I've used it daily for 3 weeks, and 98% of it is still in the jar.

o

just use a very small amount of vasolene. Yeah, a bit disgusting but if your hands get as bad as mine, you'll get use to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Sources Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here