Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtle mail order source

Posted by rootman zone 5/6 W.PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 06 at 1:30

Did you know that Crape Myrtles are for Yankees, too?

Being unable to purchase the new winter hardy crape myrtles here in W. PA other than a very few varieties, I must mail order them. Unfortunatley the nurseries known to me are ovepricing them to the point that it costs me about $25.00 to have a gallon size plant shipped in that you Southerners can pick up at Lowe's for about $5.00.

Do you know of a local nursery that ships nice crape myrtles at reasonable prices?

Thank you.

Rootman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtle mail order source

You might want to foster a relationship with a favorite locally owned garden center. I've worked with several over the years who were willing to get in hard-to-find things for me.

o

Try tytyga.com.

I've only ordered Camillias from them. But, they did a great job. Reasonable prices. I noticed they have many types of crape myrtles. I only saw one (Acoma) that is hearty to zone 5. It has white flowers.

o

Hey:

I often find plants by typing the name I want in google, make sure to use the "quotes name" approach. Forest farm (Pac NW) and Earth Works (SC?) nurseries might have one for you, unless they are charging a lot for shipping.

Alternately, you could drive south for a visit, load up the backseat of your car and have a grand vacation! Of course,with the price of gas, that won't be any cheaper...

Anyway, good luck.

tlanci

o

Try ecolage.com. CM's are one of their specialties.

Steve

o

Be careful with Ty Ty. There have been alot of complaints about them on other forums!

Good luck with your CM!
Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here