Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtles in Pots...

Posted by botanical_drifter 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 22, 11 at 8:25

Curious if anyone has them growing in pots? Space is very limited here so I have opted to plant them in as pots as I can not do with out them. lol

When is the best time to repot? Now, that they are in their catatonic state for winter?

Also, anyone on the forum collect seed from their Crapes? I am interested in starting a few from seed come spring time.

Thanks.

botanical_drifter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtles in Pots...

I have dug up seedlings from my garden that had to be a volunteers from my neighbors yard. One's been in a pot for a couple of years, but I'll be transplanting it this spring. I think the have dwarf varieties now. That would work for pots. Good luck.

o

Crapemyrtles are often considered weedy, they reproduce from seed so readily. It's important to remember, though, that they will not reproduce true to their hybrid mother plant from seed. There may be a change in color, disease resistance, etc.

Yes, they can easily be grown in containers, but care should be taken to come up with a good potting medium. I grow all of my woody container plants in a combination of pine bark fines and the coarse ingredients found in a typical bonsai mix. It drains perfectly, stays stable for a long time, and is highly porous.

You can also root prune Crapemyrtles occasionally, enabling you to keep them in the same container for many years without running out of root space.

o

Well, nurseries grow them in pots. So, yeah! :)

o

Nurseries grow them in pots on a temporary basis, as that vast majority of consumers will purchase them with the intent to plant in the ground. botanical_drifter wishes to grow them in containers on a permanent basis.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the cultivar could make a difference! There are some crapes that are very small, dwarf, or miniature. Others will grow quickly to be very large. So be mindful of that, botanical!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here