Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndrose_gw

Flower beds??

wyndrose
10 years ago

Hi I am not sure if this is the right board but it doesn't hurt to post and see. I live in South Carolina and I am looking for a board on flowerbeds. I would like to see and share pics and ideas on them. If this isn't the right board could someone give me any idea where to go.
Thank you for ur time
Frances

Comments (10)

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

probably the closest-to-your-topic forum at gardenweb will be the perennials forum. have a look at the index linked below and see if any others might interest you. there is a landscape design forum, one for cottage gardens, container gardening and many more.

Here is a link that might be useful: forum index

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

This is a fine forum for discussing a flower bed! What would grow well in it is a regional thing. Tending it would be climate-based as well, regarding timing of many things.

Are you looking for info on turning a spot that's not already a garden bed into a flower bed? Including the forums mentioned above, also appropriate might be shade gardening, and annuals. A flower bed might also include shrubs, herbs, bulbs, some veggies, all of which also have forums. The soil/mulch forum is also great for discussing, of course, soil/mulch, and compost. No garden can be great without first addressing these issues.

FWIW, The landscape design forum is too tempestuous and argumentative for my taste.

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi thank you for your reply I am just looking for somewhere just to share and talk about my flowers. I started doing flowers about 4 years ago A friend from church gave me a few for helping her. I have no idea what they are but they seem to double every year. The one I was told it was an elephant ear. Last spring I moved it and it went nuts on me and got about 6 feet talk and got big orange flower on it. I plan to move all of them to one spot in my front year.
    Thanks again
    Frances

10 years ago

Sounds like you're having fun with it! The elephant ears I have prefer mostly shade. You may find some baby bulbs when you dig it up, so you could experiment with different amounts of light to see where yours are most enjoyable. I have to move one here because it's getting so big, I can't see anything but the back of its' giant leaves when I look out the kitchen sink window. It would better making some shade on our dog house.

Adding a pic of the other plant should help folks help you decide what it is, if you're interested in doing that.

Have you been working on the spot in the front yard yet, or is that a project still?

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I was told was an elephant ear. The one touching the too of the window. I will also post a close up of the flower. Right now I an just planning the flower bed have not picked the spot yet.
    Frauces

• wyndrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the flower. Does anyone know what it is?
    Frances

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Frances,
    They are cannas, don't know which ones. Elephant ears are grown for their massive leaves. Here in Florida, they need a little shade and frequent watering.
    Rhonda

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Hey fellow southerner.
    I started my first flower garden this past spring/summer. Zinnias and marigolds. I could not believe how prolific the Zinnias were and how wonderfully diverse the flower is. The marigolds were easy peasy to grow.
    But (there is always a but) because of the deluge of rain we got this past spring the Zinnias developed a fungus that darkened the lower leaves. I decided not to spray and just let the plants grow and proliferate. So many butterflies, hummingbird moths, and humming birds visiting my little garden!

Here is a picture mid-season:

• louisianagal
    10 years ago

That is definitely a canna lily. I think you would really enjoy the cottage gardening forum, altho it is somewhat quiet until springtime.

10 years ago

LK, excellent decision - and awesome garden for a newbie - or anyone! Putting chemicals on plants (especially true annuals) that attract visitors such as birds, butterflies and hummers is a bad idea.

You might also enjoy Basil, Pentas, Angelonia, for more nectar plants. Maybe a vine up that pole?

Wynd, I think they might be be too tall for that window but it's hard to say from that angle.

Just so there's no confusion, the elephant ears do like mostly shade. Cannas, OTOH, no such thing as too much sun for them, the more, the better.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz