Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cornus Alba Elegantissima (Variegated Red Twig Dogwood)

Posted by donnabaskets MS 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 11:24

Has anyone in zone 7B grown this plant? It is a red twig dogwood with white variagated leaves. The Southern Living Garden Book says it will grow in Upper and Middle South, but I live smack dab in the middle of the Lower South. I can give it complete shelter from afternoon shade. What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cornus Alba Elegantissima (Variegated Red Twig Dogwood)

Donna, I think it's not so much the heat, since the North can be awfully hot in summer, but the lack of a resting period of cool for deciduous trees in the Lower South.
See if you can find a site for this tree/shrub that indicates it's heat index tolerances.
I'm growing the regular red twig (shrubby) here in Zone
7b-8 in a northern exposure. First year so I don't know how they'll fare. Tricky siting since you want them backed up with green so the red twigs are noticeable after leaf drop.

o

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 9:00

Unless you particularly have your heart set on the Cornus (which I've tried 3 times and lost), you might consider Eleutherococcus sieboldiana variegata (sometimes still listed as Acanthopanax). This has the same delicate leaves nicely variegated, but alas, no red stems. But it's hardy, pestfree, and thrives in part to full shade for me. It does have tiny thorns but I cut it often for indoor arrangements and they are not as fierce as roses, for instance...just somewhat prickly. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleutherococcus

o

I gwon this in Zone 7 - have ever since I got addicted to the plant thru little seedlings from Heronswood over 10 years ago. It is prettier and grows better for me than other 6-8 dogwood shrub varieties I have, including 'Spaethii' and 'Silver & Gold'. Lights up my shady spots - likes water, but will tolerate dry shade once established.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here