Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black spots on crape myrtle

Posted by wezzie321 South Carolina (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 13:00

I just had some trees delivered today. The crape myrtle has black spots all over it. I called the nursery. She said it was mold and would not harm the tree. Which may be true but could it mean there something wrong with the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black spots on crape myrtle

• Posted by lsst SC zone 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 10:26

I am in SC, too and I have never seen that on a crape myrtle.
You might want to try posting your question over in the trees forum. Someone there might be able to help.

o
RE: Black spots on crape myrtle

Wezzie,
Looks like alphids to me.
Most modern cultivars of crape myrtles that the nurseries carry today are very resistant to pests, but you don't know the situation that the tree has been growing in.
To get rid of the alphids, you simply spray the tree down real good with a hose now, and when it starts leafing out in the spring.
A nice hard spray on the tree is about all you will need to get rid of the alphids.
Alphids have many natural predators that will be out in full force to battle them once the weather warms up.
You will see wasps, and other predators that will keep the alphids under control.
Keep and eye on it, if you see the leaves of the tree becoming distorted, spray again with the hose.
Try to use the hose, not to kill the natural predators that by mid sumer, will be all over your tree, eating the alphids.
If you see alot of ants under or near the tree, go buy some Amdro at a local big box store. Sprinkle all around the bottom of the tree with it, and apply again whenever you see more ant nests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here