Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline1co

Reconaissance - roses

caroline1
19 years ago

Hi all (or y'all), I'm new. Just moved to NE Arkansas a few months ago. Getting itchy for spring & thinking about seed starting and roses. Do any of you know when to start seeing the boxed/bareroot roses start coming in (Lowes/HD/Sam's/etc)? I'm trying to do recon on them! lol

Thanks in advance. :-)

Comments (7)

• topsiebeezelbub
    19 years ago

I'm no expert, but I think you can plant dormant roses (bareroot) anytime it's nice enough to work outside and the soil is not too wet. They will stay sleeping till spring. I have potted them up and transplanted them out in spring before, but I think the transplant shock is harder on them than leaving them out in the cold.

• drasaid
    19 years ago

Too often they have sat in those boxes forever and are three quarters dead. I'd check out area nurseries, and especially botanical gardens, for good roses; stay AWAY from Hybrid Teas.
    Here in New Orleans we are getting ready for great early spring sales at the botanical garden, so I assume other areas will have them too. Keep an eye out for OLD roses; easier to care for and dependable.

• jim2k
    19 years ago

Next month you will start to see them.Stay away from wal mart thoses waxed jobs don't do very well and you may not get what you think your getting. good luck Jim

• oldblush
    19 years ago

Always a controversial subject about buying from the big box stores. This said, some of my best roses have come from Home Depot and WallyWorld. Last year I purchased a Reine des Violettes, Compte de Chambord and Caldwell Pink from HD. All are real healthy and have performed well. I just bought a Tamora (Austin rose) from HD which was a last years potted rose but in good shape. Be careful about the bagged roses and try to stay with the potted ones. Ocassionally you may get a virused plant but Walmart and HD warranty their plants for one year. Some of these stores in zone 9 have already received their roses and I'm sure the stores in zone 7&8 will shortly.

• oldblush
    19 years ago

Caroline, today Wallyworld and Home Depot in Jackson, MS had their bagged bare root roses out. Quite a large and varied selection.

• caroline1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks all. I'm still looking here - Lowes got some cheapie bagged ones. But its a start! Its been so warm here (near Memphis, west of the Miss. though!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    19 years ago

Stay away from the waxed canes. I've never had one do well. If you've never grown roses before, please don't judge roses based on the cheap mart store roses. The year guarantee for virus is a laugh. The virus can show up years later (they know what they are doing to issue such a guarantee). The boxed roses from J&P at Lowes/Home Depot can be dicey, but the best bet of the cheaper roses. J&P (Jackson and Perkins) is trying to get rid of the virus, so you may luck out.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm