Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy Carolina Jessamine

Posted by kativ8 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 15:41

I have a Carolina Jessamine which has attached itself to a small trellis. The trellis is against a large brick wall but is not fastened to the wall. I would like to attach the Jessamine itself to the wall, but I can't find any fasteners that wouldn't crack either the brick or the mortar. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy Carolina Jessamine

I've never, ever had any problems attaching something to the side of a brick home with masonry nails. Are you saying that you have had issues?

o

I haven't tried. When I asked the local hardware store what type of nails to use, they were no help. I didn't want to attempt to nail the vine to the brick without using the right nails. If I use masonry nails, do I need to drill into the brick first? Any problems with cracking the brick or mortar?

o

I've never had any problems nailing masonry nails into mortar. No drilling required.

You can also use concrete screws or anchor bolts. Drilling may be needed, but use a masonry bit.

You can't use these products directly into bricks; use the mortar.

o

I like the dollar tree coated wire that is like the stuff you find on bread bags. It is reusable for things like tomatoes etc and much easier to take off than say planters tape or twine.

o

Why not make things a lot easier and use cup hooks? You should be able to twist them into the cement using your fingertips. Then, string twine, a thin wire, or some other supporting framework among the cup hooks. Then train the Carolina jessamine onto the framework. Carolina jessamine, as you know, is vigorous but rather delicate in its habit of growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here