Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to find cotton plants?

Posted by farmert z7NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 06 at 18:10

I am creating a texture garden and want to have 2-3 cotton plants in it. I've look in several seed catalogues but don't even see seed. I prefer to buy plants, however, and if anyone knows of a source, please let me know. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to find cotton plants?

You may want to research this a bit more. Apparently because cotton is a crop in the South, the average gardener is not allowed to grow it for fear that his/her plants will attract a pest that, due to lack of proper controls, is allowed to prosper and affect the "real" crops. That is what I've heard and others have confirmed it when people ask about it from time to time.

Best bet is to check with your county agent or extension service.

By the way, as a plant, it looks a lot like okra. So you could plant okra instead. Leave some okra pods on the plant and they will dry out and look quite textural.

o
Here's a link from 1997

This was the kind of information I mentioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental cotton

o
RE: where to find cotton plants?

• Posted by josh z8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 15, 06 at 20:15

I had no idea it might be illegal to grow Cotton in a home garden, Thanks for the interesting info, Esh. Had contemplated growing a plant or two myself for amusement, until I read that more chemicals are used to grow cotton than any other crop...figured it must attract lots more pests than just the famed boll weevil. Actually, after all these decades of trying to eliminate the boll weevil, it must have mutated into a superbug of sorts. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here