Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's your favorite tomato?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 18:10

I am going to plant vegetables this year for the first time in a decade. I always planted Better Boy, etc. before and they were fine. But, I long for that old fashioned tomato that has a bit of bite to it. Do you have good luck with a variety that might fit that description? I don't want something that I have to continually spray and deal with insects and disease. And, I hope to grow enough to can.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite tomato?

I usually grow Better Boy or Big Boy, which have about the same flavor to me. When I was a youngster, my mother planted Rutgers and occasionally Mariglobe, both now considered heirloom tomatoes. Back then, I liked their taste, but hated picking the hornworms off!
Experienced an almost total failure with Better Boy? tomatoes last year. Purchased the plants from a Voc HS greenhouse, instead of my usual source, and they produced nice robust vines, that never bloomed until very late in the summer. Tomatoes were very small, but tasty. They still had ripe fruit at first frost. I believe they started the wrong seed, that weren't Better Boy.
You might try Rutgers, if you like the taste, they are a good canning tomato.
Rb

o

Donna, head on over to the Tomato Forum! You'll find loads of 'reviews' on just about every tomato characteristic you can think of!

I'm trying to decide which tomatoes I'm going to plant, too!

o

Thanks, guys. I will keep an eye out for Rutgers, and who knew there was a tomato forum? Will check it out.

o

Just a note to you guys that I found a place on E-Bay that sells heirloom tomato seeds. Small packets are just $1.29! I ordered Rutgers, Arkansas Traveler, and Old Virginia. I was extra happy when the seeds came and I saw that they are grown in Alabama. (It's an E-Bay store called heirloom vegetables. Very wide selection.)

I will probably plant some Better Boy to hedge my bet too. After the article in Horticulture Mag last month on how to get them into the ground a full month earlier, I sowed the seed today. (Such fun to try new things! :)

o

Correction on that E-bay seller. It is heirloomgardenseeds.

o

Last year we planted some lemon tomato's They were especially good. Yellow skin but a homegrown tomato taste.

o

Did you see Trudi's offer on the seed exchange?

Here is a link that might be useful: interesting site

o
RE: winter sowing mentioned above

Sorry here is another link

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato seeds

o

Wow! What an amazing and generous offer. I already have seed, but maybe someone else can take advantage. Thanks for sharing!

o

A retired extension agent here in central SC home grows and recommends "Better Boy" or "Bonnie" for the disease resistance but old "Marion" for the taste. I will try the last this year.

o

pink brandy wines.love them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here