Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

What's your favorite tomato?

Donna
15 years ago

I am going to plant vegetables this year for the first time in a decade. I always planted Better Boy, etc. before and they were fine. But, I long for that old fashioned tomato that has a bit of bite to it. Do you have good luck with a variety that might fit that description? I don't want something that I have to continually spray and deal with insects and disease. And, I hope to grow enough to can.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (11)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

I usually grow Better Boy or Big Boy, which have about the same flavor to me. When I was a youngster, my mother planted Rutgers and occasionally Mariglobe, both now considered heirloom tomatoes. Back then, I liked their taste, but hated picking the hornworms off!
    Experienced an almost total failure with Better Boy? tomatoes last year. Purchased the plants from a Voc HS greenhouse, instead of my usual source, and they produced nice robust vines, that never bloomed until very late in the summer. Tomatoes were very small, but tasty. They still had ripe fruit at first frost. I believe they started the wrong seed, that weren't Better Boy.
    You might try Rutgers, if you like the taste, they are a good canning tomato.
    Rb

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Donna, head on over to the Tomato Forum! You'll find loads of 'reviews' on just about every tomato characteristic you can think of!

I'm trying to decide which tomatoes I'm going to plant, too!

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys. I will keep an eye out for Rutgers, and who knew there was a tomato forum? Will check it out.

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a note to you guys that I found a place on E-Bay that sells heirloom tomato seeds. Small packets are just $1.29! I ordered Rutgers, Arkansas Traveler, and Old Virginia. I was extra happy when the seeds came and I saw that they are grown in Alabama. (It's an E-Bay store called heirloom vegetables. Very wide selection.)

I will probably plant some Better Boy to hedge my bet too. After the article in Horticulture Mag last month on how to get them into the ground a full month earlier, I sowed the seed today. (Such fun to try new things! :)

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Correction on that E-bay seller. It is heirloomgardenseeds.

• countrycat
    15 years ago

Last year we planted some lemon tomato's They were especially good. Yellow skin but a homegrown tomato taste.

• helenh
    15 years ago

Did you see Trudi's offer on the seed exchange?

Here is a link that might be useful: interesting site

• helenh
    15 years ago

Sorry here is another link

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato seeds

• Donna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! What an amazing and generous offer. I already have seed, but maybe someone else can take advantage. Thanks for sharing!

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

A retired extension agent here in central SC home grows and recommends "Better Boy" or "Bonnie" for the disease resistance but old "Marion" for the taste. I will try the last this year.

• shanky2008
    15 years ago

pink brandy wines.love them!