Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Corydalis?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b,MS (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 08 at 19:16

I love the look of Corydalis: ferny, beautiful flowers, etc. I know they are problematic in the south, but I have read of two or three that sound promising: Corydalis ochroleuca: maiden-hair fernlike foliage with a white bloom with yellow and green spots on upper lip of bloom; Corydalis cheilanthifolia: very fernlike (frondlike), evergreen, foliage with yellow blooms; and Corydalis Blackberry wine.
Anyone have real experience with these? If you've had success, please describe your growing conditions. I have a bed that gets about 75 to 80 percent shade all summer with moist well-drained soil. There is no competition from tree roots. On the down-side, I live in east central Mississippi, home of "hot and muggy". What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Corydalis?

Corydalis cheilanthifolia, C. lutea and C bulbosa(solida?) do very well in the South. The first 2 species are easily started from seed and are prolific seeders, once established, but in 20 years, have not had one seedling from C. bulbosa. C. ochroleuca was twice a short lived perennial for me.
None of mine seem to require a special location or soil, however the C. lutea & C. bulbosa are in shade. C. cheilanthifolia springs up everywhere, shade, sun, raised beds, clay banks, under shrubs, hedges. in the lawn, potted plants, etc. I don't mind, because it looks attractrive wherever it appears.

o

Wow! Thanks for the info, Georgia. Do you have any idea where I could find seed for cheilanthifolia?

o

I am unsure of my source of C. cheilanthifolia, but could have been T & M, which I stopped ordering from several years past, because of generally poor germination rate of their seed.
I am linking a seed company in Texas that has decent ratings at Dave's GWD. but I have had no personal experience with them. Click on their New for 2007 link, for C. cheilanthifolia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Digital Raingardens

o

Seed corydalis lutea and corydalis sempervirens are available from JL Hudson, Seedman-PO Box 337-La Honda, CA. 94020. jlhudsonseeds.net. I've purchased many seeds from JL Hudson; packets are generous & germination high. The title of the catalog is "The 2008 Ethnobotanical Catalog of Seeds"--black&white, looks homemade, no photos but great info..Corydales Papaveraeceae (formerly FUMARIACEAE) easily grown mostly hardy perennials, freely blooming in poor soil & full sun or part shade. Some slow to germinate & best sown in fall, the annuals best sown in spring or fall. The author says the catalog is "uncopyright" so they won't mind my quoting here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here