Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
morningglo

container plants for very sunny spot

morningglo
15 years ago

Hello, As I rest on the couch with my broken ankle, I think of spring coming and visit sites on the web often. My question is about plants that will grow well on my hot sunny back deck. My husband build a wonderful deck and I have been trying to grow things there but it has no shade and is on the west side of the house. Yes, it is very hot before the summer is over. Got any ideas.

Thanks,

Comments (9)

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

the trailing lantanas would work. they are very heat-tolerant. great butterfly plants, too.
    they are perennials in my zone but might not be for you, esp. in containers.

• Donna
    15 years ago

I have the identical situation to yours. I use window boxes on my deck rails and these are the plants I have had wonderful results with:

Salvia farinacea, Victoria and her kin
    Blue Scaevola: excellent trailer (Have tried whites twice with very poor results. Go figure.)
    Annual Vincas
    Million Bells Melampodium
    Profusion Zinnias
    Sweet Potato Vines, good trailers
    Pansies in winter and early spring
    marigolds (usually have to replant in mid summer due to insects, but I use them instead of mums for fall)
    Plectranthus, Cuban Oregano, good trailer
    Petunia integrifolia is good in spring. It reseeds too.

I also grow oregano, thyme, and basil in these pots for cooking purposes, and in the winter, I grow leaf lettuces which I can usually harvest all through the winter.

• morningglo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. I look forward to trying some of these as soon as I am up and around. I should be more mobile before spring gets here, thank goodness!!

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

i was originally thinking you wanted perennials but the little leaf zinnias (z. angustifolia) are good plants for sunny sites and are compact enough to use in containers. they only come in yellow, orange and white that i am aware of.
    could also try portulaca grandiflora (moss rose) as a trailing annual with succulent-like foliage and cactus-like flowers. many colors available.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

The only thing I have found that made it through the whole season-to frost- with little watering from me, was annual vinca and lantana. I have a fairly big pot (20" in diameter or so, clay though) next to my mailbox and I planted it with vinca (the upright flowering kind) and portulaca last spring. The portulaca gave out in August but the vinca lasted until I redid everything with late October pansies and kale.
    I maybe only watered the pot five times the whole season.

I have other pots that do great but need daily watering.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    15 years ago

Alyssum, thyme and lavender do well in containers for me. Susan.

• morningglo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your help. I have made me a list getting ready for planting. I have 3 more weeks of no pressure on my foot then I hope to hopping around a little.

• caroleena
    15 years ago

vinca, lantana, gerbera daisies

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Any of the verbenas should do well. How about tropical hibiscus. Replant the hibiscus in good, real dirt and water daily.

Sponsored