Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elle8b

Savannah Trip

elle8b
19 years ago

I will be going to Savannah in March and I need info on must see nurseries and gardens in the area.

Comments (11)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Hi elle! And Welcome in advance. This query has been posted before, and there aren't any large "public" gardens here...but we all encourage you to spend time walking our lovely squares, which are gardens unto themselves...you'll also catch glimpses of the gardens in the homes of the Historic District...very, very beautiful. You may want to go tot he Bamboo Gardens at the Coastal experimental station off of HWY 17 and 204 extended ( also known as abercorn ave.) Enjoy your trip here...as for nurseries, check out Hester and Zipperer on Skidaway...others will have suggestions, I am sure.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

If you are coming the later part of March, the azaleas should be blooming well. A driving tour of the city would be a good way to start. Then if you see a particually lovely square you can get out and walk. Start at Bay street on the North, come down Bull to Forsyth Park, go east to Abercorn and then back north to Bay. This will give you a good idea of what there is to see. As far as interesting nurseries, I don't think there are any that you would find worth seeing. Hester and Zipperers is a retail outlet.
    PB

• ccl38
    19 years ago

One of my favorite nurseries is west on highway 80 a few miles from Savannah. It's called The Potting Shed, phone 912-965-0021. They have nice plants and lovely pots. We also have a huge nursery called Secret Gardens (I believe they are in the process of moving to a new location, their phone number is 912-233-1419). Four Seasons is out Abercorn nearly to I-95, but they are so customer oriented I go there often phone 912-925-8258. There are many others, but these are my favorites.

• elle8b
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to you all for replying. I am so excited about my trip, and just want to get everything out of it that I can,
    good food, folklore, etc.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Take a trolley tour and a ghost tour...we have been offically named the "Most Haunted City in America".

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

See the historic district by carriage or foot, but leave your car behind, the streets are really narrow and their is next to no parking.

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

No doubt, parking is a big problem here. Park your car, and then unless you can help it, keep it parked.

• Datawgal
    19 years ago

Be aware. They have an unusual parking system in some parts of downtown Savannah where there is one meter for many spaces. You put your money in and you get a ticket which has to be displayed on your dashboard. That might be a common system but I had never seen it before.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I saw that you said March, but the savanah garden expo is Friday April 8th, and Sat. April 9th. Check Savanahgardenexpo.com, some of the private gardens might still be open.

• mstrgrdnr
    19 years ago

When you visit Savannah, find a city owned parking garage (there are several) to park in. You can park all day for like $5 and you don't have to keep going back to feed the meter.

If you do park by a meter, be prepared to feed it promptly and feed it often. DO NOT let it expire on you! You will get a ticket. The meter maids are very, very efficient.

Savannah is a beautiful city. The time of year you are visiting is the perfect time to see it. Wear comfortable shoes, carry along some bottled water, and enjoy yourself. You can see the entire Historic District on foot if you are up to doing some walking. The local businesses will have good maps with walking trails marked on them. There are several companies that offer carriage tours which are another great way to see the city.

Bring your camera, have a great visit, and remember that we do allow people to move here.

Aubrey

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus