Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diddlydoo

Pompass Grass

diddlydoo
18 years ago

Hi,

I'm a new homeowner for the first time. I have pompass grass in the backyard. We had a bad ice storm and it got broken up pretty bad.

I noticed some people cut there's back to the stubs. Why is this done and should I do it too? Is this something I could do with electric trimmers?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• Annie
    18 years ago

Pampass Grass grows new blades every year. Many people cut their plants back in late winter when the bottom starts showing new green growth. It isn't really necessary to do it every year, but some people do. They can get ragged looking in high winds and it helps to periodically de-thatch them. So, yes, Pampass Grass will come back if sheared.

Normally, I don't cut my Pampass Grass back. I love the way they look in the fall and winter landscape, but this year we are having a severe drought, and having many wildfires statewide throughout Oklahoma, so I wanted to get rid of anything that could easily catch on fire and throw firey embers into the air. The high winds would blow the embers and sparks and catch something else on fire. It is very bad.
    I do cut back my smaller ornamental grasses though. They get ragged looking by the end of winter.

Hope this helps.

Happy Gardening!
    ~ Annie
    (SweetAnnie4u)

• efam
    18 years ago

We had a bad ice storm last year in Georgia and both of mine had alot of broken stalks. When spring came around, you couldn't even tell anything happened.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Do be careful when tidying up Pampas grass, the blades are super sharp. Wear a thick long sleeved shirt (not a long sleeved t shirt) and suede gloves.

• Annie
    18 years ago

Ya, no joke!

You could slice your wrists and commit accidental suicide trimming those things if you're not careful! Man, what a paper cut!

• diddlydoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys for your response. I actually went out today and trimmed both of them down in the back yard.

Ya'll were so right about wearing gloves and everything else. What was extra fun is that we live outside the city so no yard debris pickup so I had to put all that in lawn bags to take to the landfill. Those blades stick to you like crazy. What fun to try and get all that in bags. It's over and done. Yay!

Anyone know the correct spelling of Pampas, Pompass, Pampass grass? As you can tell, I have no clue but curious.

Thanks again.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

It is Pampas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cortaderia selloana

• cindyabs
    18 years ago

Well if anyone wants to come to Savannah for a nice visit AND wants some pampas grass you are welcome to mine!! The plants are at least 15 years old, well grown, and are just not what I want as a landscape feature, so they have to go.

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

The easiest way to trim it is with a chain saw. It cuts right through with no problems. Cut it as soon as the threat of a HARD freeze has passed. Fertilize it by watering from the top and middle with a liquid such as MiracleGro, Schultz's or Peter's. Stand back as it pops out.

Sponsored