Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wacalm

Air Potato Dioscorea bulbifera

wacalm
22 years ago

HELP!!!! Have been looking for this vine. Does anyone have some "potatoes" to share. Tell me what you would like and maybe I have it.

Comments (102)

• angelfairy
    19 years ago

Some of these posts make me smile. I have been growing both Kudzu and Air Potatoes for over 30 yrs. with no problems. The key is "control". If you are a lazy gardener they will definitely get away from you eventually, but so does Bermuda grass. These two vines are some of the best for covering Pergolas, trellises, porches, etc. NO matter what you say, they will always have their die hard fans.....thank goodness!

• barb_tx
    19 years ago

I have a nice size 'tater' sitting in my "office" if someone wants it. Barb

• Bush4
    19 years ago

It's most unfortunate that the Air Potato has a rather bitter taste. The vine is so prolific and productive here in south Florida, even the tiniest potato, smaller than an eraser head, can sprout a vine. Our goats eat the larger ones and our pigs eat the vine. I'd be willing to part with a few; simply email me with your request.

• FLneedsTREES
    19 years ago

Helpful Reminder...

Squirels, racoons, birds and any other furry and cuddly critters that live near you might take tubers and plant them in natural areas. Since these creatures are very skilled gardeners, they will get them to grow and that is how they become invasive. You can control the roots all you want. Heck, you can even throw them in a trash can. Then when some wildlife decides to open your trash can and take the tuber to it's home, it then causes a problem. That is why you should not mess with this plant, especially when over 50% of the posts say it's terrible.

This concludes the helpful reminder

• mistiaggie
    19 years ago

Wow, so interesting about this because I had read an article not too long ago in a magazine in which the guy had planted air potato along a trellis by his house in Texas. I thought he was insane!

The point is, yes, a lot of things can be invasive to a gardener, but when it's becomes a problem is when it displaces natives or is causing eclogical damage, which air potato does here in Florida.

I guess the question becomes, do you ban it in other regions even though it isn't considered invasive there? Because as FLneedsTrees said it is spread by other animals, and I'm sure unwitting humans when they move to Florida.

Interesting topic.

• janny
    19 years ago

A friend of mine was just looking at a garden magazine and saw a picture of these and decided we should grow these. Of course I needed to turn to the gardenweb to find out what they were. After reading this thread it sounds like a plant we could grow here in Minnesota without it becoming a problem, provided our growing season is long enough. I'm wandering if any of you southern gardeners in the Myrtle Beach area would have any extra bulbs to share? My parents are down there for another month and I'm sure they would go and pick them up for me if someone has any. Or if not, perhaps an idea where they could buy them at a nursery in the area. Shipping them to me would be more difficult because of the freezing temps. Thanks alot, my email address is cpalm@tekstar, Janny.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

Sorry, growing this one in zones 8 and up in the Southeast is just not ethical. You may think your vine is "doing no harm", but it could very well be doing lots of harm. These noxious weeds clog watercourses throughout north Florida and readily grow in uplands as well. Each year tons of the "potatos" are harvested by volunteers and then burned. Yes, a beautiful vine, but like the chinese tallow tree, one to avoid if you care about the environment.

Here's link to a program in Florida. Before moving to Japan I participated in this round up. These are not nice plants to say the least. PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Up!

• taterfence
    19 years ago

In Houston, this vine has an important purpose. This was passed down to me through my mother. It does substantially die down in hard winter, but during light weather it provides an excellent (and cheap I might add) privacy screen along a chain link fence. We have grown it for over 20 yrs and never, never had any problem with it taking over anything. I just moved to a new house in Houston and I NEED TATERS if anyone's got them or can tell me where to run get them locally. Thanks to all.

• gardnpondr
    19 years ago

I have had mine for 3 summers now and have never had any trouble with it trying to take over either. My sister give me my first balls and then mine grew so many balls last summer that I shared with her and got her some to start over with. Hers died and she has had no trouble with them taking over either. I plan on planting one ball at each of the poles on my gazebo this year so I will have lots of shade for the gazebo.

• Kizzylaveeda
    19 years ago

I just posted on the plant exchange then ran across your post...I have plenty of these, and they're gorgeous!
    Sharon

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

The following link is to invasive plants of the southeast. It shows the states where potato vine is invasive. Hope this helps people with their decisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southeastern Invasives

• Kizzylaveeda
    19 years ago

I grew this last summer outdoors against a fence that a huge tree had fallen on, just to disguise it until I could remove the damage (hurricane)...I never fertilized my vine, but it still looked like it was 10X too big for the little 1-gallon pot. It bloomed like crazy though--maybe it blooms better potbound???
    Sharon

• SKYCLAD01
    19 years ago

I would love a couple tubers of this if anyone is willing to share.

• dado
    18 years ago

I have been searching for a fast growing vine to shield my courtyard from a monstrosity of an apartment building next door. I've tried several other types of vines and nothing seems to be happy in the location (it's very windy). If this vine would do well in large containers I'd like to give it a try. I'd be happy to send an SASE if anyone is willing to share a few of them.

• imadabbla
    18 years ago

Earlier in this thread I said this:

>They aren't invasive in central AL. I don't think they come back unless you replant.Well I stand corrected, at least about having to replant. I didn't replant this year and THEY'RE BAAAAACK, but not to the point of being invasive.

That's ok with me, I like them.

• imadabbla
    18 years ago

dado~Be aware that it's possible you'll have a vine sprout anywhere on of these 'taters' falls, hence planting them in containers probably won't "contain" them.

• growinweeds
    18 years ago

Don't know if it is the same plant but I bought this at HD. It was labeled as a false potato. I planted it a month ago and it grows like crazy- already had to trim it once. No potato things in it though. I put clippings in a bucket of water and are rooting like mad.

• CaseysMom
    18 years ago

Now that is a sweet potato vine (Ipomoea) and it is not invasive. Although it grows about a foot a day, it does not come back predictably thus it behaves more like and annual vine or groundcover.

• rizzir
    18 years ago

It appears there are three different species of Dioscorea we are talking about here.

The one with coconut, softball, or grapefruit-sized bulbils ("tubers") is Dioscorea bulbifera and it can grow up to 80 feet in length and has large leaves. This is the monster eating southern Florida. It appears to crave high humidity and frequent rainfall, so that is why it is not as much of a pest further north or in dry parts of Texas.

Dioscorea alata is a much less common variety with squared stems that almost have "wings" off of them. It doesn't flower worth noting or have very large leaves, and so there doesn't seem to be much interest in cultivating it here in the U.S. so its unlikely most of the folks on this discussion have it. It does get the attractive leaves even though they are smaller, and it does grow quickly and could be a pest if given the chance, as could the others. It also does not appear to be capable of overwintering outside of the deep south.

Dioscorea oppositifolia, the Chinese yam, is the one with the cinnamony-smelling flowers. It has smaller leaves, and does not attain the lengths of the others, though one plant can grow a healthy 10 feet or more. The bulbils are not usually bigger than golf balls and most are pea-sized, but every one of them can sprout a vine in areas with high humidity and moisture. The leaves are glossy and handsome, and the vine tough and stringy. It could easily crawl over low native plants and shrubs and kill them due to its ability to thicky shade. The bulbils can stand southern winters just fine... therefore this vine is considered invasive even in Kentucky. This vine has the propensity to get away from you because the tiny bulbils can fall due to the vine being shaken, brushed, or even blown by wind. It can easily make hundreds of pea-sized bulbils. Add to this that these bulbils taste better than the other varieties and you have a recipe for them being spread by wildlife as well as gravity.

That being said, my current infestation of this vine in East Tennessee is no worse than my infestation of chokevine, morning glories, or Japanese honeysuckle, all of which tend to have the same habit. I have found that if I can't get the root up, repeated pulling of the vine at its base eventually exhausts the tuber. Round up is also effective.

I feel that growing one or two vines in a pot, and pulling the bulbils off as they form (much like deadheading annuals) would probably contain this vine even in states where it is considered invasive. Each gardener should strongly consider whether s/he has the time to dedicate to doing so before committing to this plant. I can tell you that cleaning up after someone else's infestation was not gratifying ;-) And the vines, left to their own devices, do not flower - it takes true cultivation to achieve it (which explains why it performs better in a pot.)

• williamsonaw
    18 years ago

I am currently doing a science fair on these vines. If anyone has any ideas for an experiment that would be grea. My email is williamsonaw@gmail.com .......thank you

• scgatorgal
    17 years ago

I'm begging you, don't propagate these things. They are SO invasive, so horrible.... They are as bad, or worse, than kudzu. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find something else.

• djco
    17 years ago

All you folks who have decided you absolutely need this vine please please do your homework. Those who are saying they keep this vine under control work at it. But what happens when the controlers move away and the next owner is not a gardner. Please just think about it.

My neighbor asked me to help her transplant some cattails from a marshy area enclosed by concrete to the open marsh behind her house. Research told us that their growth is "rampent". We decided she should container grow or just enjoy them down the block.

Kudzu is a rather nice looking, shady vine when there is only one.

• pokito_email_com
    17 years ago

Misago,Your yappy dog would end up missing if you killed my air potato plant.

• airwayrs_earthlink_net
    17 years ago

I moved to Mt. Dora Florida in 1999. My fences are covered in Dioscorea bulbifera. They are interesting, attractive, and have been no problem at all.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago

Carlos: yet they are considered class 1 invasives in Florida. May look good in your yard but you are doing a huge disservice to everyone else's yards and nearby natural areas by keeping it.

• mistiaggie
    17 years ago
  • bluesgarden
    16 years ago

Seems everyone can grow these but me! My cousin sent me a box of these from Texas. I planted them, some under mulch, some on top of the ground some under the ground, NOTHING! I have not seen a single sprout. Can any one suggest what I am doing wrong. My Aunt tells me she had one on a self in her basement and it sprouted . I do not understand! Maybe it needs warmer weather, we are just starting to warm up here on the coast of NC. Thank you

• cathys1951
    16 years ago

I have this air potato in Ga. Had it for 4 yrs now. Though I live in the country, I try to contain it because I don't want it all over my yard. I is growing up my arbor beautifully now. A web site that I have found info is
    http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/diobul.html or http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AG112
    I do have some of the potatoes if anyone wants them.

• btrflybarb
    16 years ago

We're in Reno Nevada and are having a really hard time finding plants that will thrive here. Especially under the 60 foot tall pine tree in the front yard. :) I would like to try the air potato to see if it will grow.

• 1fullhouse
    16 years ago

I received Air Potato Vine in a swap, and planted them in a container for my back porch. I will keep vigilint about the taders, but I really wanted something to green up that patio. It's been 2 weeks, and so far they have tripled in size. And that's in 115+ heat! From what I can tell, they will die back this winter in my climate. Anyone else have luck in Phoenix?

• markdaniel
    16 years ago

Hi,

I have a very long fence that I would like to cover with air potatoes. I need probably 50-100 and would be willing to trade,etc. I am in zone 7 and our winters are tough and they are not invasive because they can not survive the cold.

I have all kinds of plants to trade.

Thanks,
    M. Pearce.

• wannab
    16 years ago

After all the Pro and Con's do you still want this plant? I was given one tuber, and have been fighting it for years. We leave Alabama in the spring and summer in Mi. We return in October only to find that we have again been invaded with this horrible weed. It is eqyak a Kudzoo in my opinion.

• grannyfrannie
    16 years ago

Please tell me where I can get air potatoes. We always had them at home and at my Mom's and loved them. They were destroyed by Katrina along with our homes. We have moved to North Carolina and I have a huge expanse of ugly fence I want to cover. Besides it would make this place seem a little more like home. I have nothing to trade but am willing to buy them and pay for shipping.

• tryingbamboo
    15 years ago

I found this forum after seeing the air potato referred to elsewhere as a staple food crop! Well, the source is the Permaculture Network in Malawi, not exactly around here. I didn't paste the website, but the publication info is Issue #51: Drought Season is Mulch Season January-April 2006

I'm open to trying a plant in an indoor pot, if I can figure out which type is edible and where I can get one.

Here's the Malawi text of interest:

The "potatoes" grow up to 10 cm and may be cooked and eaten just like a normal potato. They also store very well through the entire dry season, so you can eat them right up until the next rains come. Keep them stored in a cool dry area and they will start to sprout when they are ready to be planted again. Once they sprout, simply plant the whole tuber in the ground near a tree or other supporter and watch them climb. Once you have planted an Air Potato, it will continue to grow each year in the same place. It will go dormant during the dry season and then grow again bigger and with more potatoes in the following years. Not only is this a great staple crop, but itÂs also fun to grow and show other people! (Note: there is a poisonous variety of this plant but the tubers look different with bumps on them and more oval, plus they tend to be much smaller).

I saw the post naming the Dioscorea oppositifolia, the Chinese yam, as the best tasting, with the tiny bulbils and cinnamony-smelling flowers. That's confusing re size, per the Malawi source. The USDA shows 29 species of Dioscorea. But I've already spent too much time in front of my computer.

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

I won't try to sort out names, but the invasive "air potatoes" I have seen in southern Florida were with golf-ball or larger aerial tubers, which won't survive well here in colder country (in my experience at the border of zones 7/8), same as the edible Diascorea yams. The one that is a pest here has aerial tubers that are up to large grape size.

• starsell_aol_com
    15 years ago

Okay, surely by now the fact is established that:

a) A major invasive plant in Florida
    b) Often grown out of Florida as an annual vine
    being very frost sensitive

That being stated, perhaps *emotions aside* those of you
    who have them can share with those who want them and are
    NOT in Florida?

Many of us folks lose ours if the tubers are not kept
    carefully, which I know you find understandably amazing.
    But it would be good to just get the facts out there
    and let the ones who can, have - by the grace of the ones
    who need them not.

• tazebell
    15 years ago

I moved one of these to SC from my granny's house years ago. It grew up the side of her porch, shading the porch swing. She told me the vine got little "potatoes" on it, and over the years I could never identify it. I was sad when I moved in winter and couldn't dig up any of the many vines that had sprouted over the years. I moved back home and wondered what happened to all the vines at granny's when the place was remodeled. One day in the drive thru at McD's I looked down and there was one lone vine! I yanked it up, brought it home and kept it going all summer. The following spring I found some sprouts but still didn't know what it was. Back to McD's last spring, and there was another vine in the same island. I got it and made a stop at the Southern States store with said vine in hand. Lo and behold the man knew what it was! Cinammon Vine, he said. Save the tubers and plant them for more vines. Yeah me! Later last summer my aunt came in to visit (she owns the old house now)and I gave her one of the vines. She said that while her sister, another aunt of mine, was digging by the porch she found lots of little potatoes and didn't have any idea what they were. So, finally the circle is somewhat closed. I baby a potted plant over winter in the house and need to get the potatoes in some dirt soon. Oh, one side note- the two varieties (yam/cinn)differ in the way they twirl. One goes counter clockwise, one clockwise. I really like this plant and am sorry it's so rampant in FL.(I did notice in photos from the Caylee Anthony murder case the area her remains were found was covered in this vine.)

• LuvMyDOGs2
    12 years ago

i would love some of these large pods/tubers if anyone has any. i don't have anything of interest to trade but would pay the shipping. I am in NC near the coast.
    As an aside note I am also looking for Jerusalem Cherry plant seeds.

• LuvMyDOGs2
    12 years ago

I posted in 2011 wanting some of these but no one ever responded. It is not invasive to my state (NC) because we have kudzu instead. Please contact meif anyone has any of these potatoes. (beachgirl28457@yahoo.com)

• Lisa
    12 years ago

Want air potato...can sase or trade...thanks!!

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

Wow, you people that keep saying "I want some'...can't you read?!

• mccoml
    11 years ago

Don't plant these! It's actually illegal to plant, exchange, or sell them. I worked for the National Park Service in Florida and we would have Air Potato days where we would get together as many volunteers as we could and pull and burn all the air potato from the area. They ruin entire ecosystems, and the government spends millions-millions of dollars combating them. They hire people who's only job it is to track down invasive plant species and erradicate them with hardcore pesticides. Do yourself and the environment a favor and avoid them. They will kill forests of trees, and propogate like crazy. Please be a responsible gardener and avoid these!!

• jay_7bsc
    11 years ago

Dear mccoml,
    While your concern for Florida is admirable, it is obvious that you know nothing about growing conditions in those sections of the USA where winter temperatures are harsher than those in the Sunshine State, e.g., USDA Zones 8b and lower. Where there are significant winter frosts, _Dioscorea bulbifera_ is killed outright and, therefore, is not invasive. Know whereof you speak before you make such a pompous, and I must say, ignorant, condemnation of a beautiful exotic vine that behaves itself quite well in most of the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

• SeaLights
    11 years ago

I have been looking for these potatoes for a long time... When I moved into my house 8 years ago I had a beautiful full of them... these last four years they have not come back up... I found that when I planted my pumpkins near them, they really took off but my neighbor didn't like the pumpkin nor the air potatoes and decided to kill off my garden two to three feet off the fence line on my side of them fence... I was really mad at him for doing so... Now I am on a big hunt for them. Does anyone have any that they are willing to part with? I live in Texas near Houston. Thank you.

• Soccermom1960
    11 years ago

I have grown this vine for several years. It's very beautiful and quite a conversation piece, as no one here has ever seen nor heard of it. I live on the border of Zones 5 and 6, so there is no chance of it ever becoming a nuisance. It stops growing as soon as the weather gets cool here and the first frost kills it immediately. If I lived in an area where it was a problem, I would be respectful and not grow it, but here in the north, it's a gorgeous annual vine to be enjoyed!

• teree
    10 years ago

Is there anybody that has some of this air potato? I am not sure if it will even grow in my area. I tried it once with no avail. It is too hot and dry here in NM. But I love the look of the vine. Thanks

• Atlee
    10 years ago

I am in Jacksonville, FL and these vines have been trying to take over my garden for the past two years. I would love to ship them out to places where they would not be invasive; after all, a weed is an unwanted plant. There are useful places, but not here in Florida where they need to be removed.

• teree
    10 years ago

Hi Atlee, would you consider postage for some bulbs. I don't really have anything to trade at the moment.

• Atlee
    10 years ago

Teree, At this time the new bulbs have not fully formed. I do have small live plants coming out of the ground that need to be dug up soon. If you are interested in them let me know. My Email is atleeyarrow@hotmail.com. I find that they even grow from chopped up bulbs. Each white dot on the bulb seems to begin a new plant which is why they are so hard to kill in Florida. The specific spot where these plants are growing was from a land clearing for my garden and was where we burned off the plants in the first place. The fire only seemed to help them grow stronger, now after the second year.

• SlenderHope
    10 years ago

I note that a good many people here are determined to plant the Air potato. You really should consider carefully if you're living in Florida. My yard is full of the stuff and I have mixed feelngs about it. It is very attractive (unfortunately) which is probably why people want it. I've gone to some lengths to keep it under control in my own yard, but it's exceedingly persistent and I have to keep digging it up from just about every square inch of dirt I've got. The only things more numerous here than air potatoes are squirrels and, as someone else mentioned, I feel sure those little dudes are planting the potatoes. Do consider the people around you.

Sponsored