Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miss Huff Lantana

Posted by april_wine z7 Tennessee (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 9:09

Anyone had any luck with Miss Huff Lantana returning in the spring? If so, did you trim it back in the spring? Does it come back on old wood or from the ground? I have 2 that I planted last summer. They were huge! I did not cut back in the fall. I broke a stem yesterday close to the ground, and it was green. Any advice appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miss Huff Lantana

I do not have the variety Miss Huff, but all my lantana came back so far (4 yrs here in zone 7), but very late. I usually cut back the dead parts in winter, but leave a little so I can see it's there. It seems to come back from the ground maybe April? I can't find it in my journal now. Seems it also has some leaves on the old wood, so I would say it blooms on old and new. I would say yours will come back, it takes a while though, kinda like hostas.

o

Thanks for the info! It does look ratty right now and I did want to trim it back this spring. But I was curious at what kind of luck others had with Miss Huff due to my annual lantanas do not come back every year.

o

Miss Huff comes back from the ground for me in Georgia. Do not cut the stems until all chance of freezing is past - otherwise water can get into the hollow stems and cause the crown to freeze, killing the plant.

o

We have a large Miss Huff. We cut it back to the ground last week as we do each year. it will be another couple of weeks at least before it starts to come out this year. It's always late.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here