Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misslibrary

'Methodist plant'

misslibrary
19 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of a "Methodist plant?" I think it may be a "Southern pass-along" but I am not sure. A friend told me about it and I can't find any info anywhere. Thanks. JAK

Comments (11)

• qqqq
    19 years ago

No, but I've heard of bishop's weed (Aegopodium podagraria).

• Delisa
    17 years ago

My Mother keeps asking me to find her one of these plants called a Methodist plant. She says it was also called a Chinese Bluebell and that it is a bulb plant. She is from the south.

• rootdiggernc
    17 years ago

This article mentions a Chinese Bluebell (Eustoma grandiflorum) and says it's actually a native southern US plant. I hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eustoma grandiflorum

• tobaccofarmer
    16 years ago

I have lots of pots Methodist Plants. My aunt now deceased gave me my pot years ago and told me that you have to share the plant every year. By sharing a plant of Methodist Plant it is your way of sharing your love with God with others. She said if you don't share the plant will die and your love for God. Moral of the story if you don't share it gets too many plants in a pot and they do die and don't look look good or bloom in the summer.

• Donna
    16 years ago

That's a cool story, tobaccofarmer. Do you by any chance know the scientific name for your Methodist Plants? (Or can you post a picture?)

• dospenguins
    14 years ago

i have a large planter of methodist plant i brought to fl from ky. no one there knew the reason it was called methodist plant or any scientific info on it. this is my first attempt to learn more about it. the plant has purple blooms that resemble petunias, bur the foliage is large leafed and deep green. it dies back in the late fall. i store it under my deck until early spring when new growth reemerges (the new growth starts as very small things that look like tiny pine cones, wierd ). i will try to post a photo at some point.

• parislady
    12 years ago

I have a methodist plant that is an heirloom plant my neighbor (who is 90) has kept going for most of those years.
    I'd like to post a photo, but don't know how--anyone know how to do that on this forum?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

parislady, this forum doesn't accept uploaded pics, but the name that plant forum does. You can also "park" your pictures on a photo-sharing/hosting site and put links to them in messages on these forums.

I found only this link trying to satisfy my own curiosity from this discussion. The plant in the link is still not identified, but looks like a Plectranthus.

• nancybea
    12 years ago

Although I've not heard the name Methodist Plant, the story and description sound exactly like something I have known since childhood some 50 years ago as a Monkey Face. A few years ago I went on a quest to discover the botanical name and found it was Achimenes, a small bulb that looks like a tiny pine cone. The flower is almost always purple, although I think you can also order them in white and pink. The flowers look almost identical to petunias, although the foliage is different. They need lots of shade and consistent water. They aren't hardy over winter and need to be stored under the house or basement when they die down in the fall. Plant Delights Nursery had them at one time. If you google Achimenes, you can see lots of pictures. Maybe this is your Methodist Plant. I think they have lots of other names too.

• trj1969
    3 years ago

someone recently gave me this pot of the Methodist plant (today's date, 9/30/2020) just wanted to share the picture

.. the flowers remind me of petunias

• browneyedsusan_gw
    3 years ago

Looks like Achimenes. Here is a link

Achimenes

Sponsored