Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about (photina) redtip

Posted by dixiedoll (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 08 at 11:15

Other than digging up a red tip is there any chemical other than roundup that could be used ? At one time wasn't there a fungus that was attacking redtips in the South? Thank you for any information. dixie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about (photina) redtip

You don't say where in the south you are from, but in our part of the country (very bottom of zone 7B), red tips are constantly plagued with all kinds of fungus and mildew problems. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone here.

If the shrubs are large, I wouldn't advise you to mess with chemicals. I would get a good mattock and chop the crowns out of the plants, and then begin digging out the roots. You may be very pleasantly surprised that it's not as bad a job as you think. (You could also find someone with a winch and pull them out of the ground.) I just finished a project where I pulled out overgrown cleyera. The roots were large, but they weren't matted in the ground. I simply cut each one with loppers as I came to it and they came out pretty easily as I dug the bed. I had the same experience with overgrown hollies about ten years ago.

I just think that Round up may not be very effective on a large, overgrown shrub, and may very well take multiple applications. When you consider how easy it is to let it drift onto and kill plants you want to keep, I'd sharpen my shovel. Remember, Round-up is not effective unless the plant is actively growing.

These are my opinions. It will be interesting to see what others say.

o

What is your problem with using Round-up? If you are afraid it will get on other plants, then here is the solution. Cut the bushes as close to the ground as possible. Put a 3/4 inch paddle or spade bit in your electric drill and drill holes in the stumps about 1- 1 1/2 inches deep. Fill the holes with Round-Up BRUSH killer. Do not use weed killer, use brush killer. I use the concentrate. The plants will be dead in no time.

o

Much like leyland cypress (plagued by bagworms and drought canker), redtips were over planted and attracted a fatal disease. It will eventually get to your plants, I would shovel prune and move on to something better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here