Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep_south_gardener

? about Hollyhocks

Hey ya'll,

I'm looking for advice from those of you living and gardening along the coast. I'm in the New Orleans area where we have long hot humid summers. I have 5 hollyhock plants I started from seed. They need to be transplanted this spring and I need advice on any special needs they

may have. Any help will be appreciated.

Brenda

Harvey, LA

Comments (6)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    19 years ago

I'm certainly not in your zone, but from my experience with them, every critter known to mankind eats on the foliage. I don't spray insecticides so the bugs just had to be left alone, but the rabbits were also having lunch on their new growth in early spring. On the one set of plants I had that survived this early assault, they flowered well, but only if you ignored the foliage. My neighbor didn't have much luck with them either. I guess it depends on where your are and what critters, or diseases you have. They were a waste of time for us.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Japaneese beetles love them!

• Shufly
    19 years ago

If dem bugs and da critters like em dat much they sho must be almighty good fo usuns to eat ?

Maybe a hollyhock salad greens ?

• CrackerGal_Z9
    19 years ago

Brenda, I live on the coast in N.E. Florida. Last summer I was in a nursery in Daytona that had hollyhock starts. I bought two and put them into a location that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. This is my first go at hollyhocks and I've lost one over the winter, but the other one is doing well so far. It's only about 8" tall at this time, nice and green with no bug problems yet. Of course, we've yet to get to the hot, buggy time of year. I'll keep you updated as to the progress. Heck, The suggestion of this impulsive, reckless gardener is, Go for it, give hollyhocks a try. Just keep some Sevens Dust around for the buggies. Cindy

• deep_south_gardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the input ya'll. Cindy, I haven't seen any bug
    problems yet either, but we're like you and haven't gotten
    to the hot buggy weather, except for the mosquitoes that
    never go away. My hollyhocks are planted in one of the
    triangles of my vegetable garden at the present time. One is quite huge, looking almost like a zucchini plant. Large
    leaves, and about 2 1/2 feet high. Some of the leaves have
    turned yellow, but it's pretty healthy for the most part.
    I bought my grand daughter a book a couple of years back
    called the Hollyhock Wall, so we're real excited about
    seeing real hollyhocks upclose and personal. Good luck with your last one. I'll keep you posted as well. Happy gardening.

Brenda
    Harvey, LA

• Susan Garrison
    19 years ago

I live in Zone 8b just north of Pensacola in the hot and humid inland area. I grew hollyhocks from seed about 5 years ago. I planted them in a semi-shady area on the east side of my house. They have grown and bloomed reliably all this time with absolutely no pest or fungus problems. However, Hurricane Ivan followed by the wierd hot one day/freezing cold the next weather we had this winter finally got them.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz