Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whistlingdixie_gw

How do plant swaps work

whistlingdixie
19 years ago

There's a lady here in Ark who is having a plant swap in May. I think I want to go but I don't know anything about these. And I don't know if I will have plants to trade. Can I go just to see what it's about and to meet the others. How does it work. Is anyone else going to this one. It's in Jonesboro which isn't very far from where I live. I want to go if I would be allowed. How do these things work.

Dixie

Comments (7)

• wish2okc
    19 years ago

I don't know the answer, but am also interested and in the same situation as you.

• chargreen
    19 years ago

I guess each swap has it's own rules. Our swap in San Marcos,Texas seems to work really well. Here is a great link with information on what we do. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Marcos Swap Information

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I think a lot will depend on who is organizing the affair. The ones I went to were more of a "bring your extra goodies and get rid of them" than a Trade or Swap. We even brought books to giveaway. I think it would be perfectly alright to go if you wanted to. If someone acts as if they didn't like it that you don't have anything to trade........well, I wouldn't worry about what that kind of person thinks. Most gardeners are very generous.

• lsmcw
    19 years ago

Most swaps welcome anything "garden". Pots, statuary, garden junk, stepping stones, old garden magazines and books, seeds, etc. Just go and have fun. lmw

• Jan_Hobbs
    19 years ago

We're having a plant swap May 21 here in middle TN, on the beautiful Buffalo River, and anyone from anywhere is welcome...we've had people from Long Island NY, OK, KY, AL, MS, TN.

Our swap does include anything-garden...like Lsmcw said... come even if you don't have anything to swap...usually at the end of the swap everyone is giving away what's left of what they brought...so they don't have to take it back home again. If you are really interested, email Jeff our secretary at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net or myself and we will get you more info. If you will go to www.buffalocanoeing.com you can get directions from about anywhere in TN. It is being held at our campground, and there will be camping sites available for those wanting to camp, just email me about those details.

Be glad to have you.

"SEE YOU AT THE RIVER"

Jan

• whistlingdixie
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you jan for the invitation. I think I will go to the one in jonesboro since that's near me. Maybe just to satisfy my own curiosity and see what it's all about. It sounds interesting.

Dixie

• beachplant
    19 years ago

I take all the extra stuff from the yard & try and get other people to take it. Some people only like to trade, some (like me) just want to get rid of their excess, some want all your plants but don't want to give you any of theirs, some only want pre-trades.... You'll learn who to avoid at the trades-there is always one of us that acts a fool-and who will give you anything you want if you'll PLEASE just take them all (me). Don't be shy, ask a lot of questions, drool over plants, look at it longingly & say "I've always wanted one of those....", eat too much, telll people the snails are free with every plant, wear bug spray & most important HAVE FUN! Tally Ho!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?