Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrycat_gw

Looking for Mayhaw Trees to Buy

countrycat
15 years ago

Hi, Anyone know where I can purchase MAYHAW trees in the South Georgia ~ North Florida area? Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Growing for fruit production to make jams, jellies?
    Might check with your local County Extension Agent for recommendations of varieties that perform best in your area and a reliable nursery that sells them.

Be aware that there is one nefarious outfit in your area (Tift Co.& possibly others, in GA) that uses multiple names and advertises Mayhaw trees for sale, using many different names.
    Rb

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

this one linked below might be within driving distance for you in the panhandle. i have ordered plants from her before and was pleased with the quality.
    look under "trees and shrubs" on page 6. see crataegus aestivalis, eastern mayhaw.
    yes, avoid the nursery in tyty, georgia, as razorback mentions.

Here is a link that might be useful: mail order natives

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

You might consider looking in _The Market Bulletin_ for either Georgia or Florida. The departments of agriculture of Georgia and Florida, and other states, publish _The Market Bulletin_. You'll find several headings to look under: Plants and Flowers, Garden Plants, etc. You'll probably find an Internet edition of _The MB_. You should also be able to place a subscription to the print edition or find it available at a local library. You may find mayhaws advertised for sale at reasonable prices in_The MB_.

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

If for fruit, you want a selected clone. Look at "cultivars" in the link below. Some are more susceptible to a fungal disease (a blight?) on the flower and fruit but I forget which ones.

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/mayhaw.htm#Cultivars

• gonebananas_gw
    15 years ago

As another poster alluded, don't buy from here; you will regret it.

http://www.tytyga.com/product/Mason+Mayhaw+Tree

• xentar_gw
    15 years ago

Willis Orchard Company is in Georgia. I don't know much about them but have placed two orders with them in the last month or so. They have four varieties of mayhaws (one being a seedling) and are about the cheapest mayhaws I've seen on the net, at only $3.95 for 1-2' trees. If ordering on-line, they do have a $50 minimum order, and I'm not sure if they allow walk-ins or not.

I ordered three types of the $3.95 mayhaws from them around two weeks ago, and they came in 2-3 days ago and were appx 2' long. Two of them were thorny, and the other was thornless. It's too early to tell how they'll do here in north-central florida.

I had a huge battle to keep my other unnamed (thornless also) mayhaw alive 2-3 years ago, because of too much water, too little water, and our late spring freezes here, and it died completely down to the ground at least twice, but eventually, I believe it got its roots well established and has been doing fine for over a year now and is probably around 7' tall. I don't have to do anything for it now. Maybe in the next couple of years, we'll see some blooms.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers