Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragoness_ms

starting seed indoors

Dragoness_MS
19 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been hanging around the Garden Junk forum, but am new to this forum.. I'm hoping someone here can tell me how to and when to start my seeds inside.

I'll be doing this in my garage (only area I have space *lol*) and will be trying to start assorted flowers (zinnias, mums, wildflower mix, etc.) as well as herbs (lavender, thyme, mint, basil)...

I need to know:

what kind of light is best to use (does it have to be fluorescent light, or just light that gives off lots of heat, since the garage may still be chilly at night)

how often to water, special feeding instructions, etc.

also, the lavender I'm starting (called Lady Lavendar on the packet) has been in my freezer for about 6 weeks, and it says the plants will not flower until year two after planting.. is there anyway to speed the flowering up, should I start them now and put them outside this spring or just sow in spring time, do I need to do anything to them this upcoming winter 2005-2006 in order to protect them?

as you can see, I'm a novice, but am willing to learn!!!

btw, I'm in south Mississippi, about an hour from the Gulf coast..

Comments (2)

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Hi Dragoness......I see you posted your question about three days ago and have no takers! If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out the Growing from Seed forum, which is wonderfully active this time of year with just the kind of Q&A's you have...Also, the Growing Under Lights forum ('though that one is probably more technical than you need. Fluoros and shoplights do the trick for most seeds. You'll also want to be sure that your nighttime temps in the garage aren't tooooo low.)

Also, check out the link below for a little help with figuring out the when and how of planting your specific seeds. (Although your seed packets *should* supply you with at least some info?)

The only other observation I would toss out to you is that lavender is supposedly a pretty tough customer to grow from from seed (most people buy plants, or root cuttings), so I think you're probably in for a long wait, with no options for speeding up the process. Now, watch, the next poster will turn out to be someone who has grown bushels of the stuff from seed and will tell you it's a snap, LOL!.......

Finally, you might want to check out the Winter Sowing forum, and ask if there's anyone else in your zone giving it a try. They might be able to tell you how to do some of your sowing outdoors in containers, rather than in the garage.

Good luck and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Clothier's germination database

• lisa455
    19 years ago

I am not an expert in seeds, but I have grown many for several years and I don't think it is necessary in our climate to start them inside at this time because you are almost at your last frost date and our growing season in the South is so long. I would start the seeds outside in pots or in rectangular plastic planters (my favorite) or directly in the ground. If you are grwoing in pots, the first thing you need to check is the germination temperature for the seeds. That needs to be roughly the average high temperature for most of the days when you plant. Zinnias and basil I believe need temperatures in the seventies to germinate and grow on. If it is too cold then the seeds rot. Perennial hibiscus, cosmos, zinnia and basil have germinated quickly (7-10 days) and easily in late March or early April for me for several years. You can also do a later planting in mid-summer for the fall. Some seeds have lower germination temperatures (60s)and can be started in March outside. You can always bring them in your garage if it dips below 40. Also, some perennials and biennials and some cool weather annuals (i.e. bachelors buttons, alyssum, poppies) actually do better being sown in the fall in the south so that they can settle in when it is cooler although the packets say to sow them in the spring. (I grew stokes aster and spiderworts and daylilies and perennial herbs from seed this past fall this way.)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals