Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss or algae? How to eliminate?

Posted by thisbetty 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 17:04

There is greeny/yellow film on large parts of my shady brick patio, which I can't eliminate - it always comes back. It also appears in moderate sun. I have true mosses growing in crevices in the sunny patio.

The film bothers me more - scrubbing, baking soda, lime,
Clorox, Comet, 409- the film is removed temporarily but returns gradually. Accumulated winter leaves increase the problem - but it is in other areas without leaves - and is very slippery when wet..

I would really appreciate your experience and advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss or algae? How to eliminate?

PS

Bricks are laid in sand - so no pressure wash.

o

The concrete steps on our back porch get slippery and slimy too. I pour a little bleach on there, let it sit for a few minutes, scrub with a brush or hard broom, then rinse. You can't keep it from coming back, AFAIK, just clean when necessary. If it's a bunch of separate stones, you could fill a squirt bottle with diluted bleach and spray them. If you do often enough, scrubbing probably wouldn't be necessary, IDK.

o

I have argued with my Mom for years about this. I will NOT put harsh chemicals on my property, slime or no slime. Just get used to it!

o

I don't own any gardening chemicals, but someone could be seriously injured slipping on the steps, probably me. Keeping them free of slime, necessary about once a year, is not an option. It's not a visual issue, it's a safety issue. Bleach is what I use to clean everything, and definitely kills mold and mildew.

o

Thanks.

A permanent solution would be nice, but we do the best we can with what we have. It is hard work and it is a little less trouble if I keep the patio really clean (leaves, potting soil, etc.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here