Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Identifying bulb

Posted by genielady 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 13, 10 at 17:59

It has been so nice down here in Bainbridge, GA last week, that I have started redoing my front flowerbed. I dug up some bulbs that I thought were Amarylis, but they are not. I remember now finding some of these when we first moved here in 2001, and just threw them away because all I ever saw was green limp foliage coming from these bulbs, never flowers. But they were stuck in under some bushes, so maybe they do flower, but just didn't because of lack of sunlight.

Can any of you help me figure out what this is? It has no smell, so I ruled out onions and garlic. Of course, I could be wrong. :-) It happens sometimes.
http://oktibbehamsgenealogy.org/bulbs/DSCN0296.JPG
http://oktibbehamsgenealogy.org/bulbs/DSCN0298.JPG

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Identifying bulb

Try posting this on the BULB forum as well. You may get more responses. Personally, all I had to say was Hmmmm??? Pretty gnarly-looking, huh? :o)

You're making me want to dig up a pot I have of something green (STILL) that looks just like what you're describing. I'm wondering what's under the dirt. I don't remember where the pot came from, just found it out back and it's stayed green all this time. I, too, thought onions or garlic but figured I'd just wait to see what happens this spring.

Good luck !!
bonnie aka brit5467

o

Hey Genielady, without even looking at the pictures, I'd have to say it sounds like crinum lily. the plant itself is not much to look at but the flowers are beautiful and can perfume an entire room if not the whole house. It was pretty here also. I worked in the front yard this Saturday. Very sunny. It felt good to get my hands dirty. Good luck with the new bed.

Brenda
Harvey, LA

o

Definitely crinums. The good news is these are some of the finest bulbs for southern gardens (and the most expensive). The bad news is when you dug it up you will have set it back several years from blooming.

The good news is you have an opportunity to divide it! Pull off those offsets so that you'll have more. (or give them to a much-loved gardening friend.)

When you replant them, put them somewhere that they can get sun and plenty of moisture and give them a good 3 feet (diameter) of space around their roots. They get pretty big. Dig a generous amount of composted manure into their hole. Then leave them alone! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here