Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

roses

louisianagal
16 years ago

In getting ready to add roses to my back gardens. I have done alot of research and have experience in south Louisiana. What I am asking is easy care roses with a good show for zone 7 northeast Mississippi. If anyone cares to give me their best performers I'd appreciate.

Comments (6)

• iris_lover
    16 years ago

Hi, Antique roses are probably best for Mississippi. I love all the bourbons....my Buff Beauty is wonderful....there is a place on the coast that sells them...Countryside Roses...I just found about them on here....check them out!!

I am in central MS..I remembered some of your posts saying that you had moved to Tupelo after Katrina. Are you getting accustomed to the colder weather up there?

marie

• Donna
    16 years ago

I live in East Central Mississippi. Here are my favorite shrub roses:
    pink: "Nearly Wild"
    red: "Valentine"
    White: "Little White Pet" and "Cassie"
    yellow: "Nagadoches" (be aware there is a pink one called Natchitoches) I understand this one is now being sold as "Grandma's Yellow" too.

All of these bloom all summer long, and have never been sprayed. Other than an annual top dressing of manure and a good January pruning, they are virtually no maintenance plants. They are also small ones (1 1/2 to 3 feet, tops), so make great landscape plants. ANd...they are extremely easy to start from winter cuttings. I stick cuttings as I prune, root them on my back porch, plant in the spring, and they're full grown and blooming by the fourth of July.

• louisianagal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for these great responses.
    I am beginning to adjust to the colder clime, however I don't like the cold. I do get a bit down in the dumps during January particularly, Feb gets better as their are signs of spring like forsythia, daffodils, etc.

• buford
    16 years ago

louisiana gal, have you considered teas? Not hybrid teas, but the tea roses that were developed in the late 18th early 19th century. They are especially suited to the southern zones. They are blackspot resistant and some get quite large. I just ordered 12 from Vintage roses.

You may want to post on the antique rose forum, you will get a lot of very valuable advice there.

• ncdirtdigger
    16 years ago

The obvious answer is 'knockout' series and the 'carefree' series both hybidized by the same fellow and the most disease resistant roses I have grown. I was skeptical at first but I have bug up most of my other roses and replaced them with these. The exception being two of my alltime favorite antiques - 'penelope' and 'Marie Pavie', which can be found at the Antique Rose Emporium. They ship good size roses (in pots with soil no less)

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Rose Emporium

• ronda_in_carolina
    16 years ago

I grow roses and I don't spray for fungus or baby my roses. They are great and bloom like mad. I have a big mix of old roses and a few new. You can find most any of these roses at Roses Unlimited, Ashdown, or Countryside Roses.

BelindaÂs Dream
    Blush Noisette
    Bonica
    Borderer
    Carefree Beauty
    Carefree Sunshine
    Cinderella
    Climbing Pinkie
    Country Dancer
    Cramoisi Supérieur
    Ducher
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Fellenberg
    Frances Drubeuil
    Général Galliéni
    Granada
    Gruss An Achen
    Hot Cocoa
    Julia child
    Knock Out
    Lady Hillingdon
    Lillian Austin
    Madison
    Marie Pavie
    Moulton Noisette
    Mutabilis
    Mystic Beauty
    Old Gay Hill
    Papi Delbard
    Penelope
    Pink Knock Out
    Playboy
    Quietness
    Sea Foam
    SophyÂs Rose
    Uncle Joe (a.k.a Toro)
    Weeping China Doll
    Westerland

You can see a host of pictures for each of these roses along with other details at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses at HelpMeFind roses .com

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES