Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many planted feet of purple hull field peas make a bushel

Posted by WillowbrookDrive Zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 19:56

I am planting purple hull field peas in my square foot garden this year. I want to plant enough so I have some left for freezing. My question is how many feet of planted field peas does it require to shell a bushel? For example, if a plant 1 10 foot row of peas, how many pods can I expect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many planted feet of purple hull field peas make a bushel

According to my County Extension bulletin, 1/2 pound of seed planted in 100 feet of row will yield 40 pounds of peas in the hull in 65 days. According to Wikipedia, a bushel will weigh approximately 25 pounds.

So...60 to 65 feet of row should yield one bushel of peas in the shell. From that, according to Wikipedia, you should get 8 quarts of shelled peas.

o

Thanks Donna, I am doing Square Foot Gardening and I have a bed that is 4 by 8 feet. The packet says plant seeds 3 inches apart, so since I don't have to abide by row spacing, I should be able to plant 16 - 8 foot rows spaced three inches apart. 16 times 3=48 inches or 4 feet. 16 8 foot rows is a total of 128 feet of peas. According to your numbers I should have plenty if I plant this entire bed full of peas. Let me know your thoughts anyone.

o

You bet. That is precisely how I plant too. You will be truly amazed at how much food you will harvest from those "small" beds. I can usually get 2 to 3 plantings in the summer too.

o

So once you pick the initial harvest of the peas, you just pull them up and plant again? Or do you keep them planted and wait for them to produce more peas?

o

They will usually continually to ripen for 2 to 3 weeks after the initial picking. After that their productiveness diminishes dramatically. I just pull the plants and put in more. (here in Mississippi). Butterbeans, on the other hand, produce all summer long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here