Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Hardy Amaryllis-Hippeastrum

Plant Delights has a couple of these that I'm interested in. However on the bulb forum all they seem to care about are the Dutch Hybrids (the kind you buy in a box around Christmas which are not hardy). Since, according to P.D. they readily produce new bulbs, has anyone had any experience with these pass-along types? The ones they offer are H. Ackermanii, and H. x johnsonii.

Comments (10)

• tony_pman
    19 years ago

I grow severial types of amaryllis, including the St. Joseph lily in my zone 7b/8a. I have some of the ones that you buy in a box at Christmas in my garden that has been blooming for 4 years now. I don't know about about how they do in lower zones , but they do good here. Tony

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Tony for the heads up. I'm going to grow mine in a container I think. I'm actually in zone 7b, so hopefully mine will be hardy. When does your "St. Josephs Lily" bloom?

• Susan Garrison
    19 years ago

I have H. x johnsonii that was a pass-along from a neighbor when I moved here 20 years ago. It's still going strong. Gorgeous blooms and does readily produce more bulbs. Some of mine eventually succombed to rot because they were planted in an area that collects a lot of runoff during heavy rain. But the ones in the well-drained area are still going strong.

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

Ditto for here in N.O. I have the hardy types growing all around with zero care on my part too. Very tough bulbs here. They grow well in very shady spots. When they bloom I'll have zillons of seed if you would like some. I've grown them out from seed and they are very easy to get going. I float start mine. You let the seed float in a glass of water till you see roots starting then pull out of water and pot up. Takes about three years from seed to flower and you never know what type of flower you will get; solid , variegated along flower edge or from center. All sorts of fun ;o)
    Mike

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Can you all tell me when yours bloom? Does the foliage stay green after they bloom or does it die back?

• Sally22
    19 years ago

My Johnsonii's bloom in late May in Charlotte. They are easy to grow. Mine are pretty much in clay! The foliage stays green until a heavy frost. The bulbs multiply into huge clumps! I highly recommend these bulbs.

• lauraann
    19 years ago

I have both H. Ackermanii, and H. x johnsonii from PD's.
    Doing fine after four or five years here in Atlanta. They dieback completely and have a habit of coming up too early and getting zapped by late frosts Does not seem to bother them at all, they just keep growing.

LauraAnn

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Laurann: Since you have both of the ones I'm thinking about can you tell me any differences. Do you prefer one over the other? The picture of the Ackemanii looks like it has larger, more relexed blooms then Johnsonii. Any difference in height, color?

• lauraann
    19 years ago

Hi Mary1,
    Johnsii is in more shade and has been divided so it's at a disadvantage for growth. As far as looks go, they are extremely similar. I wouldn't know which was which unless I was really trying to compare them..which I've never really done.
    LauraAnn

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Laurann. Maybe I'll just toss a coin (LOL).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH