Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sissyzeke

Annuals that love the heat?

SissyZeke
19 years ago

I know that vinca is good for a South facing Zone 8 island bed, but petunia is NOT!! Learned this the hard way :(

I am going to try the Laura Bush petunias, this year, but does anyone else have a heat loving favorite?

Comments (17)

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

I'm trying the Laura Bush petunias too and can't wait to see them! Other annuals I have that love the heat are zinnias of all kinds, pentas, sun coleus, vinca, marigolds, cosmos, purple hyacinth bean.

Will it really ever be that hot again?:)

• ccl38
    19 years ago

Yes, in about six weeks.

• lisa455
    19 years ago

I like ornamental sweet potato vine and blue daze.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Blue Daze is awesome! I got spoiled the first year I had them bec Lowe's sold them for 99 cents a pot. I bought tons of them and practically edged with them. Then the next year the price never dropped below $4 and I went on serious Blue Daze withdrawal!

• User
    19 years ago

Heat loving annuals include portulaca, marigolds, zinnias, and vinca, cosmos, dusty miller, and sunflowers. Also consider the herbs, many love dry heat (thyme, lavender, rosemary, and sage) and some flower nicely. Thyme & lavender is hardy for me here. Rosemary occasionally overwinters but it likes it drier than I can maintain. Happy planting.

• AmeliaD
    19 years ago

ohhhh - tell me about blue daze - not familiar with that but love anything blue - most of my yard is on south and west - lots of sun.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Amelia, there is a link below to info on Blue Daze. It has never overwintered for me but....the ones I have planted in a public garden seem to have maybe, possibly, hopefully made it so far this year. The flowers open in the morning and close in the evening. Gorgeous blue!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Daze

• jennbenn
    19 years ago

Hi Sissy,

All the above are great! Also, don't forget lantana! I know some people don't like it, but the yellow loves the sun and is a butterfly magnet. It seems to me the hotter it gets the happier it is! For some reason, the purple and white are not like that for me, in the heat of the summer they stop blooming and get very large green, leggy but no blooms, then when it turns fall on they go and they are very pretty .. the bicolor seems to love the sun also! I have had great luck with direct sowing zinnias, salvia and sunflowers in full sun beds! Good luck!

Jenn

• SissyZeke
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi, Jenn! Wish I had the shade ya'll do in Midtown. When they built this place, the dozed everything in sight...

Bloomin'Annie, are you gonna direct sow your petunias? I have the world's worst luck with seeds, but you can't buy the plants, yet...
    Sissy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    19 years ago

Dahlberg Daisy (yellow-very short-reseeds), Salvia Victoria (blue spikes- medium height), Scaevola (Aka Fanflower-blue-flowers do not close like Blue Daze- low growing), Zinnias (love them, Thumbelina is a low growing mix that you can sow in ground yourself about mid-May), Moss rose (Portulaca-they usually bloom themselves out by late summer in my garden). Vinca (Periwinkles) have a problem in some gardens with a soil born disease. Once you have the disease, the soil will be contaminated forever. I can no longer plant them in my garden, so be very careful with them.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

Sissy, I wintersowed my Laura Bush Petunias this past week and saved some of the seeds for a second round in a couple of weeks in case round 1 doesn't work. If you haven't tried it, go to the wintersowing forum and see if you can't improve your chances of germinating seeds. I have about fifty varieties started now and lots of things sprouting!

• SissyZeke
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That winter sowing thing has me confused...
    I have always thrown a pack of lettuce, larkspur, poppies, and some other seeds, in the fall. They come up-but just kinda sit there until the Spring. Have I been winter sowing this whole time and not known it?!!?
    I guess I haven't done it with warm weather annuals, but I could sure try.

• Blooming_annie
    19 years ago

You are direct sowing, Sissy. Wintersowing is done outside in containers where the conditions can be controlled a bit and the seeds and seedlings protected from the elements and critters. This is my first year doing it but so far I've had great success.

Check out the wintersowing forums FAQ's for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing forum

• tlhrch_netscape_net
    12 years ago

I live in South GA. Is it too late (late May) to be sewing Laura Bush Petunia seeds? Should I wait until Fall or next Spring?

• Donna
    12 years ago

It probably is too late for most petunias, though I am not familiar with that variety. They are usually at their best in the cooler temps of spring here. Once it hits in the low nineties regularly, they peter out. You'd be better off with pentas, salvias, zinnias, portulaca, or even marigolds now. All but the pentas are dead easy to start from seeds.

• Brad Edwards
    12 years ago

Annuals I like the most are Sweet potato vine, green and black. I have recently gotten coleus and I think its amazing, especially if you dead head it. I also like purple heart. All 3 of those varieties can have cuttings taken from them and placed in water, but all 3 wont do well during a freeze so you'd have to take them inside for winter and reroot every year, but they do spread profusely.

• topsiebeezelbub
    12 years ago

Did anyone mention Angelonia? It blooms nonstop and comes in tall, medium and short-wide types...pinks whites purples and bi-colors. Sun coleus would be my next best bet, and love cupheas. Petunias are usually a fizzle.

Sponsored