Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djd3916

wysteria

djd3916
19 years ago

seriously -

i have 3-4 yr wysteria, does magnificiently on my arbor (for shade). never has bloomed. found out that if it is not a hybrid - could take 10-15 years to bloom? first question is why a nursery would sell something like that - without telling the consumer - but that aside - has anyone found any tricks to make it bloom? it is absolutely great in shading, i prune every year and have fertilized some and not other times (have heard different treatment scenarios - including beating the tree). lost cause?

Comments (6)

• gardens1948
    19 years ago

I had one wisteria for 17 years before it bloomed. That was last year and the blooms were absolutely beautiful. About four years ago I got tired of waiting for the old one to bloom and bought another one from a local nursery. It had one bloom on it when I bought it but then it didn't bloom again for three years until last year. I had planted it right next to my first one so when they both bloomed last year the arbor was a mass of blooms. One is the dark lavender and the other is white with just a hint of lavender. I'm holding my breath this year for more blooms but I'm sure it will be just as beautiful as last year.

One tip I was given was to prune it hard in July (I pruned mine around the end of July) and I think that was the trick. I also think you need to not fertilize it very much because that just promotes more growth which translates into more greenery but not necessarily blooms. Of course, if you are in the same "boat" I'm in, (I have mine on an arbor) I'm sure we'll have to be building another arbor pretty soon. I was warned about how destructive a wisteria can be to an arbor but I still think the blooms are well worth. I also enjoy the shade the wisteria vine provides and I like to sit under the arbor during the heat of the summer.

Although it took mine a long time to bloom I've known other people who had theirs bloom the first year. But if yours hasn't bloomed yet just be patient.

Ann

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

As mentioned do not give this plant a fertilizer high in nitrogen, it will only send out more leaves. Try giving it a shot of phosphate or triple phosphate now, and give it a good hard pruning in mid-summer. The phosphate is slow to migrate in the soil so if you can work it in around the roots it will help. I have always wanted wysteria but have not grown it due to it's invasive nature, I had considered growing it as a tree standard, but read that it sends up shoots at great distances from the mother plant, and I really don't want to deal with that. Good luck!

• krissy2_2008
    16 years ago

I have 2 wisteria, one is probably 20 years old and blooms every year, the other is around 7 years and only bloomed once! I have never fed the older one but asked a nursery person why the younger one only bloomed once and he said that I should put compost around it which I did and it still hasn't bloomed again!! By the way, there were small wisteria's at the nursery that were loaded with blooms, I just don't get it???

• davidandkasie
    16 years ago

we have one, it was there when we bought the house. i have no clue how old it is, but looking at the base you tell it is old. this year is the best bloom it has had inteh past 4 summers. the ONLY thing we do to it is prune it back some. usually we do this in the spring or fall when we do the trees, but last year we pruned it mid summer. so maybe there is something to the above advice about pruning during July!

we have hundreds of violet blooms all over it now. it actually had blooms BEFORE it leafed out. now tha tit is leafing out good, the blooms are starting to fade and will likely be gone in a couple weeks at most.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Hybridization has nothing to do with blooming, but growing from seed will. Wisteria grown from cuttings or grafts will always bloom earlier than a seedling.

Proper pruning of the top in the late spring can help, as can root pruning about three or four feet away from the trunk (all the way around) in the fall.

• palustris81
    16 years ago

Hi all, I worked at the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden and we grew the native Wisteria frutescens 'Amethyst Falls'. I mention it because unlike the Asian species, it blooms very young, though the blooms are more compact and small than the other species. It is also a slower grower and does not have a pleasant odor like the introduced wisteria, but I figured I would just put the word out there if you are interested. Also, there is much talk about it being a repeat lighter bloomer in summer. Maybe give it a try to tide you over until its showier cousins come of age!

Sponsored