Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Texas Sweet Orange tree is shedding !

Posted by Heidiho Galveston, Tx. (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 05 at 3:55

Anyone have or know anyone that has a Texas Sweet Orange tree? Don't know if this is normal but mine has lots of yellow leaves that are dropping off.I just noticed it happening in the past week or so. Been here for 5 years and never seen this happen. It's about 15' tall and 10' wide and full of blossoms and looks healthy other than the yellowed leaves. Does anyone know if this is normal and I just never noticed it before or is there something wrong with it? Thanks for your help and have a very nice holiday weekend.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Texas Sweet Orange tree is shedding !

My adult Lemon, Grapefruit and Tangerine tree are all dropping old leaves now and replacing them with new growth. Citrus leaves have a lifespan of about 18 months (if I'm remembering correctly), then they are dropped. Nothing has changed for my trees except it has warmed up outside, so I think this shedding is normal. My trees are covered with blooms and new growth.

Check with the Citrus Forum to be sure though(G).

Lisa

o

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response. That made my day. Sure didn't want to lose that tree. It gives me around 150 sweet oranges every year. Although they're always blotched with brown spots on them they are the sweetest oranges I've ever tasted. We're only a mile from the refineries in Texas City so I'm assuming that's the reason for the brown rind. Always lots of chemical smoke in the air. Other people around here complain of having the same color rind on all their citrus so I'm guessing that's the reason. I did post this question on the citrus forum also. Thanks again.

o

So long as the stems appear green and healthy this is normal. Some of my trees are doing the same thing, particularly my Ambersweet orange. Much new growth and flower buds coming on now.

.....Alan.

o

The stems are all green and healthy looking. Guess I won't worry about it now thanks to both of you for your help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here